Basic Five Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WVMike

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Where you taught to do the basic five skills with only one hand?

The regulator exchange seems to be very odd to try to do this. I seem to remember being taught to remove the primary with the right hand, and purging the alternate and donning it with the left hand.

My buddy remembers being told to do all of this with his right hand.

The same question applies to the modified S drill, while deploying the long hose with the right hand I am getting my alternate with the left. This also seems very odd to try with only one hand.

Reasons and opinions please.

Thanks

Mike

followup poll question: were you taught to do valve drills 'single-handed' and with constant light control? were you taught to not purge the other reg before turning your valve off? were you taught to keep the long hose always clipped off?

in other words, for the left post:

- transfer light to RH
- roll L off and signal
- transfer light to LH
- unclip primary with RH
- swap regs

WVMike:
Where you taught to do the basic five skills with only one hand?

The regulator exchange seems to be very odd to try to do this. I seem to remember being taught to remove the primary with the right hand, and purging the alternate and donning it with the left hand.

My buddy remembers being told to do all of this with his right hand.

The same question applies to the modified S drill, while deploying the long hose with the right hand I am getting my alternate with the left. This also seems very odd to try with only one hand.

Reasons and opinions please.

Thanks

Mike
For S-drill while laying out penetration line, you will have to donate the long hose and switch to bungee'd back-up --all with the Right Hand. Same thing with a Scooter: release Right Hand grip on Trigger/T-handle, Left Hand grabs & secures front carrying strap in Hold Position --donate long hose and switch to back-up using Right Hand. . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom