barracudas harmful?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While diving in flordia a couple of weeks ago, I had a couple of lobsters in my bag and large school of barracuda came by. The lobsters started thrashing around in the bag, 2 very large cuda "rushed" me, but stopped short, once they realized i was bigger. My only concern was if they went for the bag, getting my leg caught in the middle, but they'd be after the bag, not me.

I did a dumb thing that kinda gave me a wake up call.
On our first dive trip my son and I fed kibble (dog food)to the fancy looking reef fish.
About 15 feet away there was a 4 foot baracuda.
It kicked its tail about 3 or 4 times and swam between us (literally inches away) at what seemed like lightning speed with its mouth open and teeth exposed.
It happened so fast but seemed like slow motion.
I do believe that if we bumped that fish we would have been getting stitches.
It could have been an expensive lesson.

barracuda_2282_low.jpg

I saw a ton of Great Barracuda diving in FL. They seemed rather used to divers.

I've read incidents where they have attacked masks at night, and divers with flashy (usually silver) jewelry.

If they do strike their attack speed is a reported 40mph. Good luck getting out of the way. They do have some pretty wicked teeth, and can do serious damage if they strike.

Smart divers don't wear flashy metal objects, and don't go pointing the dive light at their mask when diving with Barracuda at night. I've heard the reflection off the mask looks like sushi to a barracuda!

Nice photo, RonFrank!

RonFrank:
barracuda_2282_low.jpg

I saw a ton of Great Barracuda diving in FL. They seemed rather used to divers.

I've read incidents where they have attacked masks at night, and divers with flashy (usually silver) jewelry.

If they do strike their attack speed is a reported 40mph. Good luck getting out of the way. They do have some pretty wicked teeth, and can do serious damage if they strike.

Smart divers don't where flashy metal objects, and don't go pointing the dive light at your mask when diving with Barracuda at night. I've heard the reflection off the mask looks like sushi to a barracuda!

GREAT SHOT!

I just wanted to add a few things because I watched the show as well last night...

- Prior to the "bite" incident, they were feeding bait fish to a barracuda with no problem. Holding it in the hand, and in the mouth, the barracuda swam casually up and took it gently.

- The problem occured when the guide was holding the bait fish in his hand and close to his body. Another barracuda came in from the opposite direction while he was looking at the original. It got a piece of his hand and sliced it fairly good.

Technically, any thing can be harmful down there.

- 'Cudas eat fish.
- Human holds fish in hand.
- Cuda tries to eat fish, and sometimes eats hand too.

I could rub fish food all over my body and jump in a fish bowl. Just because I'd be gnawed to death by 3 guppies in a few days doesn't mean they're super dangerous.

Granted barracuda have slightly bigger teeth than guppies but I think you get my point.

Jeez, I came nose to nose with a biggun a few years back while snorkelling in the Dry Tortugas (over on the side where the coaling station is) Bugger must have been at least 5ft long.

I've never had one bug me, they've followed me around, they've hung out, but none ever made a threatening move towards me. I think I have a pic of a 'cuda that was following me around on here somewere as well as my site: http://jaminbenb.tripod.com/tradesite/

They act like curious cats, When I did a "discover" course a few years ago the divemaster had me get in close to a part under a coral head, then turned and pointed and there he was sneaking up on us, he wanted to se what WE were looking at!

Just don't wear anything shiny and dangly...they'll follow but leave you alone for the most part

While on a trip to Stetson Banks (Gulf of Mexico) I observed a trio of 4-5 foot barracuda "patroling" along a steep outcrop of rock. As my partner and I approached, one of the 'cuda went nearly vertical along the craggy wall. I was amazed by what I saw next. The cuda CHANGED COLOR. It went from shiney to a dusky green, flared its mouth and gill slits and opened wide. In a flash, a whole host of little blue wrasses swarmed the cuda's teeth and gills. The barracuda stayed absolutely motionless as we approached (cautiously, by the way) to within about 8 feet. Then that barracuda changed back to silver, the wrasses scrammed in the blink of an eye, and it moved off a distance. Another barracuda then took its place and the scene repeated, with another barracuda about ten feet away waiting its turn. The first cuda went around and got in line. It was like a car wash for fish! Absolutely fascinating to watch this cleaning station at work with one of the reef's apex predators and some of its tiniest citizens.

I have no idea how true it really is but I was told that schooling barracuda, or groups of them are not dangerous. A single one alone might be considered more so as there is a chance that it's in hunting mode.
On my second OW dive while I was doing my certification in Venezuela at one point I glanced up and discovered an entire school hovering about 2 or 3 meters above me. I have to admit that I found their eyes really unnerving, although they didn't bother me at all. Once my heart settled down I found the experience awesome and it's still one of my 'highlight' scuba experiences!

Kim:
I have no idea how true it really is but I was told that schooling barracuda, or groups of them are not dangerous. A single one alone might be considered more so as there is a chance that it's in hunting mode.
Schooling barracuda are usually more wimpy species. In the Caribbean we have sennets... they're harmless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom