barracudas harmful?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently returned from a dive trip at Sangalaki, Indonesia. My dive buddies and I had numerous encounters with hundreds (or even thousands) of barracudas. We saw them at all angles. We got close enough to the cudas to get decent photos and videos.

Question? Would it be ok to get close enough..let's say in the middle of the school of cudas?

cheers!

cheers!

From the Florida Mueseum of Natural History...
Danger to Humans
Attacks on humans by great barracuda are rare. Inquisitive, sight-oriented fish, barracudas sometimes exhibit the unnerving habit of trailing snorkelers and divers. When attacks occur more often than not it is because a barracuda attempts to steal a fish from spearfishers or mistakenly interprets a shiny object, such as a diving knife, for the glint of a shiny fish. Such incidents usually consist of one very quick strike, the result of which may be a laceration and some loss of tissue. Fatalities from barracuda attacks are rare. In 1947, a death off Key West was attributed to a barracuda, followed by another case off the coast of North Carolina in 1957. A well-documented barracuda attack occurred on a free diver off Pompano Beach, Florida in 1960. The diver was bitten twice, and the resulting injuries required 31 stitches. However, such attacks are uncommon and more often than not easily preventable with a few simple precautions.

kensuguro:
I just saw it on Animal Planet.. I think they were out diving in Florida Keys. But that aside, it was a segment showing the Barracuda as a very fast swimmer, and a dangerous hunter. The guiding diver actually got bit from feeding the barracuda.

I think the "bit while feeding them" is important. I personally know of two serious barracuda-related injuries here on Guam, both at the same place, and more than likely, both from the same barracuda. There's a beach dive at a place with an underwater observatory, and years ago a pair of barracuda used to hang around & get fed squid & sometimes hotdogs by some guides. The largest (~5') barracuda would just hover a few feet away from you, waiting for a "handout." Unfortunately, the action of throwing food to the barracuda, or any other sort of random arm waving action look pretty similar. As I understand it, one of the guides was waving his hand to get his diver's attention, and got hit by the barracuda. Managed to (barely) keep all his fingers, but was injured badly. I'm not familiar with the details of the other injury, but I believe that was also a guide/instructor. So I don't think the "attacks" were really "agressive," but more likely a mistake in going after food. When my Labrador Retriever "Hana" jumps up to steal a piece of chicken out of your hand, the worst thing that will happen is you'll get slobbered on......a different story with barracuda, though.

But in all my encounters/sightings of "wild" barracuda, I've never seen anything agressive, and actually enjoy being encircled by a big school of them.

thnx for the overwhelming number of replies. I guess I was right about them not being "dangerous". Darn TV show.
I wonder why is it that producers try so hard to find something scary in the ocean.

kensuguro:
I wonder why is it that producers try so hard to find something scary in the ocean.
Money.

Saying something like, "these beautiful creatures are just wonderful to behold", won't sell it.

I have heard of one occassion about 20 years age where a girl was removing a fish from a pole spear and a barracuda took her hand and the fish.

One time in West Palm I had a lobster in one hand and was trying to open my bag to stuff away the lobster. This Barracuda appears about 5 ft away eyeing the lobster. I hid the lobster behind my back till I got the bag open. As soon as the lobster "disappeared" into the bag the 'cuda disappeared

Joe

They are so mean looking. I was in the Philippines a few years ago at 80 feet and was surrounded in a ball of Barracuda. They were there and then a few minutes later they were gone. It was scary but it was so cool. To me it was a once in a life time experience..

PWCPD Diver:
Only if they bite ya!
Don't try to pet them, and never feed them. I once thought it might be fun to carry a ziplock of dry catfood down to attract fish. Very bad idea. Attracted Triggers & Barracuda - and I certainly was not wearing any armor. One 2 ft cuda followed me for the rest of the dive, swimming just under me - thought he was going to try to board with me. I learn too many things the hard way. :blush:

Back
Top Bottom