Barotrauma symptoms lasting more than a month -- help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, it would be pretty unlikely for you to get a permanent (i.e. nerve, or sensorineural) hearing loss without a perilymph fistula (leakage of inner ear fluid), or decompression illness of the inner ear - both of those are pretty rare. MUCH more likely is a conductive hearing loss, which is temporary and related to fluid in the middle ear, etc...

But this can all be settled with a good audiogram (in a booth, with an audiologist)...

Hope things get better soon!

Mike

Which decongestant have you been using, and why so resistant to using decongestants & anti inflamtories? Scuba diving is not a natural act and some of us need chemical assistance - other than the Sea Gypsies who just pierce their ear drums as babies and get it over with.

It is now approximately a month since I dived. (1) Is it normal to still feel symptoms? (the popping and clicking when I swallow) (2) At this point is all I can do is just wait this out? (3) Is continuing on decongestants or anti inflammatories crucial to recovery? I would prefer not being on anymore pharmaceuticals and junk.

I had relatively mild barotrauma (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/diving-medicine/428839-unresolved-barotrauma-what-do-next.html), saw an ENT twice, did two regimens of antibiotics and steroids, and had a full hearing test (no nerve damage). Now ten weeks later I still have muffled hearing in that ear with popping and cracking sensations, although no pain. The ENT said it may take 3+ months to completely clear unless I opt for the tube through the eardrum procedure. So I will continue to wait. I do wonder if it is safe to go diving yet as I have an opportunity on 9/23.

I would suggest that you give your situation more time to resolve on it's own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom