Barebones DSLR or Fully Loaded "consumer" digital system??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can't you just hear Clive's accent when he types "bloody"? I appreciate all the great advice. It seems the 60mm Nikon is a consensus vote. So now it's between the 17-35mm Sigma or the Nikon 18-35, any opinions? Again this is for a "all around lens".

I've been following this thread with some interest, mainly because I've just done the jump, also over to an Aquatica housing, so here's what I did:-

12-24mm DX Nikkor - Great lens (so far only seen topside results, but they look very encouraging). The zoom gear for this lens will also fit the 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G nikkor.

24-85mm - I didn't really buy this one for UW use, but my existing 8" dome and macro ports will work with it anyway, plus the zoom gear above fits it too, so a bit of a bonus! I can't remember whether the ports needed an extension ring or not though.

60mm macro - Again, i needed a dedicated macro lens. I chose the 60 over the 105mm as UK waters aren't so clear, so the smaller the focusing distance the better!

Hope that helps!

i think some people missed the meaning of the original post a "pro summer top end" or a "bare bones dslr"

my understanding of a barebones system is something that you can use straight away with minimal cost but does the widest range of functions possible.

not a dslr that has a fish eye, 200mm and 105mm macro, and a mid range lens

the 18 to 55mm that comes with the 300d is a one size fits all lens

check this 300d review then you will see what i mean about the quality of the photo's and the standard issue lens

Clive, I don't know anyone using an SLR housing who hasn't gone for all the lenses. Personally I use two: the 20mm and 105. For each I use a separate port which adds to the cost.

Back to the prosumer vs DSLR, I'll tell you what I plan to do. The new Nikon Coolpix 8700 prosumer camera looks very promising. It should have much better noise levels than the Sony DSC-F828 and the CCD is larger. I'm going to get something like the 8700 and use it for macro. For now I'll continue to use my film SLR for wide angle.

DesertEagle:
Clive, I don't know anyone using an SLR housing who hasn't gone for all the lenses. Personally I use two: the 20mm and 105. For each I use a separate port which adds to the cost.

yes but that is at a later date, he was talking about starting off, you can add to the prosummer as well making them better.

for a start the standard lense covers just about everything which is what they are supposed to do.

DesertEagle:
Back to the prosumer vs DSLR, I'll tell you what I plan to do. The new Nikon Coolpix 8700 prosumer camera looks very promising. It should have much better noise levels than the Sony DSC-F828 and the CCD is larger. I'm going to get something like the 8700 and use it for macro. For now I'll continue to use my film SLR for wide angle.

i would think carefully about that i have been using a loan 5000 while my 5050 is being repaired and it is paints compared to the 5050.

I was purely pointing out the lens options for MJH, as he mentioned, the the kit bought already included the ports, etc, and MJH wwante to know about lens options.

I agree a midrange zoom maybe the way to go first, and by doing that the next lens up or down, WA or macro will use some of the parts already owned, such as the correct zoom gear & port. As you can see by my previous post, if a 24-85mm was already owned, then going the WA route would simply require the lens, no extras needed. Same goes for the macro, except maybe a focus gear.

It's really down to budget, and what pictures you intend to take. They're the dominating factors that will effect the next lens choice.

Thread started as I was trying to decide between the 5050 or DSLR. Got a great deal on the DSLR set-up. Prev owner used the Nikon 17-35 has gear/extension. But I can't afford +$1000 for the lens right now. Looks like I will go with Nikon 60mm and the Nikon 18-35. Thanks all for the input!

Back
Top Bottom