Barebones DSLR or Fully Loaded "consumer" digital system??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjh

Contributor
Reaction score
Gave up the idea of the Video/Still system. Too much downloading, editing, etc… As on person put it “go with stills, make a slide show and bore your dinner guest with that”.

So now I am debating raiding the piggy bank, searching for coin in the couch and bumping up to a stripped down DSLR system. It would have to be a Canon Rebel + Ikelite or Aquatica housing + one lens for camera and housing and one strobe arm. I would have to add parts later, much later.

Or

Could go a fully loaded “consumer” digital like Oly 5050+Tetra Housing+ROC Strobe+2 lens package and travel case.

1. What way would you go?
2. What camera?
3. What housing? What is your favorite housing and why?
4. Favorite Strobe?
5. Lenses?
6. Anyone diving in cold water and using dryglove or heavy neoprene? How easy is it to manipulate your housing controls?

Thanks for all your help and input!!

IMHO...go for the fully loaded consumer digital. At the end of the day, the best photo does not come from the best camera, but the person who see's the best image in their view finder and can capture it. This board clearly illustrates, through people like Dee and Gilligan, that experience and a good eye is what takes great photos, and not the kit in their hands.

There is an "apples and oranges" comparison in your post mjh as respects the Oly 5050 and the Canon SLR Rebel. They are two different style cameras, so not an equal playing field as respects comparisons.

If you were to get the Oly 5050 I would suggest you get the Oly housing. The 5050 is already out of production so I wouldn't buy an expensive Ikelite ot Tetra housing for it given the choice. I am totally in favor of the consumer level housings for the consumer level cameras for amateur photography.

The Canon Rebel is a different story as there is no $200. or less Canon housing for it. I believe an Ikelite housing or other high end housing is your only option for it.

If money matters you can purchase a re-furb Oly 5050 and a new Oly PT-015 housing for a whole lot less than a Canon SLR Rebel and Ikelite/Aquatica setup.

I can't answer your controls manipulating question as I am a warm water diver. But it is a very important one.

Go fully digital SLR if your going to spend it. I have the setup your talking about, and haven't had a chance to fully do it.

I would go Digital SLR also. My canon G1 is prefectly fine, but my digital rebel is 10x better. The main thing you will love is the lack of shutter lag that the lower end digital cameras have. Also the digital rebel has much less noise then most other cameras for those natural light wide angle underwater shots. If money is a issue, then go for a consumer level digital camera. If not, I would be all over the DSLR's. Too bad my wife wont let me get a housing for my Digital Rebel any time soon when my G1 and Ikelite housing are still working great :54:

The problem w/ your "dream" rig is that no single lens on a DSLR will give you the versatilty of a good "prosumer" digicam. SLR lenses are all designed and intended for specific needs. Yes, there are zooms, but the best only have a 1:2 macro function and the quality is far behind a dedicated macro. To get e decent Macro shot you need a macro lens. Also, just as the original Rebel was intended as an "entry" level cam, the new digital version is no different. It can still use all of the Canon glass, but the cheap zoom that comes bundled with the Digital is a really poor grade lens and isn't worth half the price. The majority of the manual funtions and options of the D10 have been left off to get the price down, although they do use the same CMOS chip so noise levels are low. If you can't afford or don't want the hassle of carrying multiple lenses, not to count the housing,ports,arms and strobe, all 20-30 lbs worth, stick w/ a digicam.

Is this your first UW camera system (I assume so)?
Ever shot SLR topside before?

It's a tough question. If this is your first rig and you will not be bothered by shutter lag (yet), I agree with onbelaydave that you should go prosumer. IT is a much more flexible and user-friendly system. I can't imagine starting underwater with a DSLR and dedicated lenses, etc.

On the other hand, if you stick with UW photography you will likely at some point switch to a DSLR. You will find that autofocus and shutter lag will affect your photo taking ability.

All that said, as Simon sez..... The pics come from you, not the camera. I have seen fantastic pics from 4040s and 5050s, and crappy ones from D100s. All depends upon the person behind the viewfinder. If you can't take a good pic with a 4040, all the fancy optics, electronics and lenses won't help.

If I were buying prosumer, I would buy refurb 5050 and an Oly housing, one sea & sea or Inon strobe. Learn how to use it.
Chris

mattloaf:
I would go Digital SLR also. My canon G1 is prefectly fine, but my digital rebel is 10x better. The main thing you will love is the lack of shutter lag that the lower end digital cameras have. Also the digital rebel has much less noise then most other cameras for those natural light wide angle underwater shots. If money is a issue, then go for a consumer level digital camera. If not, I would be all over the DSLR's. Too bad my wife wont let me get a housing for my Digital Rebel any time soon when my G1 and Ikelite housing are still working great :54:

I just bought a nikon d 100 and will be putting it in an aquatica housing rated to 300 feet. Would like to get double strobes but one will have to do for now since the price tag is already exceeding the planned budget.

My feeling is that I would go with the DSLR route because it allows future expansion and upgrade. You can get new lenses and have the quality equipment at your disposal as you prgress. Where as the consumer route you are kind of locked in and if you get more "serious" you are looking at upgrading everything. But that's what i would do.

However, if you just want to take "happy snaps" to show some friends, and don't think you'll ever need much more than a system that will do that, save yourself some expense and complexity in your setup and go consumer.

As has been stated, if you can take good photos that are well composed and are just for your personal enjoyment, you won't need the heavy duty system.

Well in the end Opportunity made the decision for me. Was able to pick up the following from a fellow diver for less than I would have paid for a 5050/L&M set up. Housing and strobes have about 12 dives on them and the camera has about 1000 shutter clicks. Both still under warranty.

Aquatica AD100 Housing (single bulk head 5-pin)
1- 8" dome port, shade and neoprene covers
1-neoprene cover for standard port
1-extension ring for the 17-35mm lens
1- zoom gear ring for the 17-35mm lens allen key incl.
all o-rings for ports and housings, grease for o-rings
2 Sea & Sea YS90 DX strobes with diffusers
1-S&S dual sync cord 5 pin ( with o-ring and grease )
Lots of TLC arm parts
1-Aquatica light saddle ( for top of the housing )
1-Nikon D100 digital camera
1-Nikon USB cable
1-MB-D100 Vertical grip
2-batteries
1- Nikon charger
1- body cap
1-lcd cover

The only thing the kit did not come with are lenses and a case. So I am going to pick up a Nikkor 17-35 lens and have to decide what other. Goal is to use 17-35 for reefscape and fish portrait shots and need a good macro, maybe a 60mm?

Any other suggestions for a macro lens?? Other things I should have to start?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom