Bare

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently posted a review about the Typhoon trilam suit that Divers Supply sell - if you buy it from them new via eBay you can get one for about $550. I was looking at the Bare suits, but decided I'd rather buy a dirt-cheap one upfront, and then fork out for a custom DUI in 2 or 3 years. Especially as it was my first drysuit purchase - I didn't want to spend $1k or $2k on a suit to discover that I was storing it incorrectly or not looking after the zipper properly or something. But the Typhoon suit is that nice I'm not going to be in any hurry to upgrade - a pleasant surprise.

lal7176 once bubbled...

Im not so sure about bare's good warrantee .Shortly after i purchased my suit the clear reflective protective coating over the silver reflectors started to peel off.I notified bare of the problem and they told me they could fix it but it would probably not match the other reflectors.I would also be responsible to take the suit back to my LDS and pay for shipping back to bare.They said they had been having a problem with some of the reflectors peeling off.Thats not exactly what i wanted to hear after spending a small fortune on this suit.

After hearing their song and dance i just peeled the protective coatings off of the refelectors.It doesnt affect the suit performance any.I didnt think it was worth all of the hassle of paying to send it back and then losing it for who knows how long till their done with it.Other than that minor problem the suit has been great and a pleasure to dive in.I just think bare could have done more with the reflector problem than what they offered.

On which suit did you have this problem?

I was all set to buy the Bare Light but unfortunately it only came in men's sizing. The price was really good though. The cost was around $1,250.00 Canadian including the Trek boots.
I was disappointed about the sizing issue and ended up buying the more expensive DUI TLS350 because it offered stock woman sizes.
Now I'm having the same issue with the underwear. I want Weezle extremes but they are "unisex" to fit a man's body. If I'm paying close to $400. Canadian I want something that fits properly!!!

Got it off eBay after a thorough search...Came complete & new for an excellent price... I have since dove the suit and can report that it works super...It's thin, but light...And the fit is unbelievable ...I am very happy with this suit...I have seen several posters on here dog this suit, but my research convinced me that it was perfect for me...I jumped, and am very happy with my purchase...I would reccomend this suit to anyone looking to get into a drysuit on a budget...I'll have no problem diving this suit for the next 3 years down to 150 fsw...(my limit, not the suit's...) The lowdown: $525, including boots, underwear, hood, gloves, carry bag, talc bag, manual, inflator hose and zipper wax.:D

Yea I just recieved my nexgen from the mail order. So far it looks great. I know what you mean about the sizing. I'm 5'10'' and 165-170 lbs and I ordered a medium size. It seems to fit like a glove with a thick fleece. The nex-gen fabric seems pretty strong compared to to the TLS that I rented from my LDS...... We'll see how it is when I dive in it next weekend..... When I dive i try not ot touch many things while underwater, so I fugure If I continue to dive the way I do this suit will suit me well for some time to come..... With the price you can't beat it.... I bought the nextgen suit, the trek boots and have some money left over for a mares M1 computer........At any rate I can't wait till next weekend!!!

I got a "Large" - I'm 5'11, 180lbs. Its a bit long in the arms but not bad, and a bit baggier than I'd like in the legs, but its just right in terms of ability to move and reach things - so I couldn't go a size smaller.

Dove it today; two tanks. I like it. Took it spearfishing and had no trouble with it at all.

The fabric looks and feels very solid, it is very flexible, it keeps me dry, the inflator control is nice and slow like I like my inflators (and it swivels), the shoulder dump doesn't leak water and does leak (at the appropriate rate as it should) air when you ascend.

I'm very happy with it. In 60F water today I was nice and toasty with a polartec fleece undergarmet.

I paid $460 complete with boots, polartec underwear, the suit itself, inflator hose, bag, wax, etc - brand new.

Spectre once bubbled...
I'm still shopping around, but I'm probably going to end up going with the BARE suits. My LDS is big into them, and he's just about sold me over the DUIs specifically for the warrantee that they carry. Not to mention all the BARE suits are custom built for no extra cost [if I remember correctly].

Interesting. My first suit was a bear. When we opened the shop we were going to sell them but at the time they wouldn't do any custom fitting and my very first dry suit customer needed a custom fitted suit.

Back
Top Bottom