Bare XCD2 Tech Dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NHColdwater

Registered
Reaction score
My local dive shop has this font entry suit equipped with a few pockets and soft feet off the shelf.

The suit also has latex seals on both the neck and wrists. I've seen a different type of wrist seal on some other Bare suits and was concerned this might affect wearing the Bare Dry Gloves. Is one type of seal preferable over the other?

The arms seem slightly long as they overlap the wrist seals down to my wrist. How far should the neoprene extend down the arm on this type of suit, and how much room should I allow around my chest?

Many people on this board seem to like this suit. I'm curious what some of you have paid for a similar deal.

Thanks.

NHColdwater:
Is one type of seal preferable over the other?

My experience with neoprene seals is that they always leak a little. I prefer my neoprene neck seal over latex, but I occasionally get a trickle down the back even with my hood "sealed" over it. Neoprene wrist seals could be more problematic.

I'm not sure how the Bare dryglove system works, but if it's a typical ring system, neoprene seals won't be a problem for the gloves. I have latex wrists as that is the only thing that will work for my bony frame.

The arms seem slightly long as they overlap the wrist seals down to my wrist. How far should the neoprene extend down the arm on this type of suit, and how much room should I allow around my chest?

The seals should be longer than your arms, as they will be folded under. Without pictures, it's hard to tell, but you should get someone experienced in drysuit fit to help evaluate it for you. Bring a third party with you to help you evaluate it. The shop is going to probably tell you it's "fine," but when spending $1k+, I don't want the fit to be, "fine," it should be "pretty darn good."

The suit should have enough space in it to accomodate the thickest undergarment you will be wearing and still allow you enough mobility when compressed to reach your valves.

Many people on this board seem to like this suit. I'm curious what some of you have paid for a similar deal.

I went for the ATR-HD suit since, in my opinion, compressed neoprene has no advantages over a tough trilam suit. The ATR-HD is just as tough, dries quicker, is lighter, more flexible, and easier to find leaks, just as streamlined.

The question to ask is not, "is it a good deal" but "is it what I want." Price should be secondary, though I understand the need to be on a budget.

Soggy:
My experience with neoprene seals is that they always leak a little. I prefer my neoprene neck seal over latex, but I occasionally get a trickle down the back even with my hood "sealed" over it. Neoprene wrist seals could be more problematic.

I'm not sure how the Bare dryglove system works, but if it's a typical ring system, neoprene seals won't be a problem for the gloves. I have latex wrists as that is the only thing that will work for my bony frame.

The seals should be longer than your arms, as they will be folded under. Without pictures, it's hard to tell, but you should get someone experienced in drysuit fit to help evaluate it for you. Bring a third party with you to help you evaluate it. The shop is going to probably tell you it's "fine," but when spending $1k+, I don't want the fit to be, "fine," it should be "pretty darn good."

The suit should have enough space in it to accomodate the thickest undergarment you will be wearing and still allow you enough mobility when compressed to reach your valves.

I went for the ATR-HD suit since, in my opinion, compressed neoprene has no advantages over a tough trilam suit. The ATR-HD is just as tough, dries quicker, is lighter, more flexible, and easier to find leaks, just as streamlined.

The question to ask is not, "is it a good deal" but "is it what I want." Price should be secondary, though I understand the need to be on a budget.

Sorry for the confusion, the seals are actually Latex, I was confusing them with the boots.

Back
Top Bottom