Bare vs. Henderson

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have both the Bare 5/4 Velocity, and the 3 mil Velocity. I like them both, and have been very happy with my purchase, from ScubaToys of course!

I wonder if Bare cost less because of the lower value of the Canadian dollar (Bare is made in Canada) vs the US dollar. My home stereo speakers are also a great value and also made in Canada.

My wife and I both got BARE since it fit us better than the Henderson. we tried on every brand within the 4 or 5 LDS. i'd say get what fits best.

SteveFass:
I wonder if Bare cost less because of the lower value of the Canadian dollar (Bare is made in Canada) vs the US dollar. My home stereo speakers are also a great value and also made in Canada.

Actually I think they come in by the container load from offshore. Cannadian import tariffs anong with NAFTA may play a role, I duno.

Divetank ships out of B/C.

Pete

I have dove 4 brands of wetsuits, Bare and Henderson included.

I do alot of dives well over 1hr, and I cannot suggest another wetsuit other then henderson.

Their 5/7mm Hyperstretch wears like it is a 3mm, but offers the full warmth of a 5/7mm. I hate feeling like I am restricted in most 5/7mm suits. Again, this is my opinion, spend your money how you want... :)

I love my bare Arctic semi-dry. It kept me comfortable during a 42 minute 39 degree dive this January. I had a 1.5mm glideskin under it, but I still had a dry spot the size of a dinner plate in my chest area at the end of the dive. My toes and lips? Yeah, they were numb... For the price, I couldn't beat it. It'll take a heck of a suit to get me to switch from bare.

SteveFass:

Considering that the CDN and US dollar is *almost* at par, I would have to say no.

What the real deal is the fact that they are now made in the orient, which reduces the price overall. Also anything made by Henderson has been substantially more $$$ regardless of what it was, while Bare specialized in getting good gear out and not having the customer pay for the brand.

I have had multiple Bare suits, shorties, fulls, cold/warm water suits. My only problem with them now is the fact that their sizing has gone over to smaller sizes and their suits no longer fit me (regardless of what the charts say) the older stock still made in Canada was measured and cut properly while the new tailors seem to have smaller tape measures, so it seems........so I am looking into something that does. Henderson and Scubapro are the only ones that carry the "hyperstretch/everflex" like material that has more flex and their suit still fits.

While I am not happy paying the larger sum, it seems that I have no options and must change from Bare, they have been great but lack sizes now

I have both a Henderson and a Bare, I would recommend the Bare hands down. Much higher quality.

Hi:

Go to www.elios.com and see what they have to offer in way of a scuba diving wetsuit.
They have several styles & different stock sizes & if that isn't good enough for you, go with a custom.

I bought a custom earlier this spring and not only that the price was right, but it is the most durible & warmst wetsuit i ever dived with.

I think that Hendersen wetsuits are over priced and the quality isn't their. I have one and did not like it. I was sorry to of ordered it.

As for Bare, not only do they have different sizes but, several of my dive buddys have used same and can't say anything bad about them.

As for myself "custom" is the only way to go especially after going that route.

For a good quality suit and cheap $$$$$$$ > email the elios people for you won't go wrong.

Mike126:
I've started looking at wetsuits. I've noticed that the 7/6 Bare Velocity runs about 2/3rds the price of the 7/5mm Henderson Hyperstretch. Any reason why? How is the fit and finish of the Bare suits? Is this like comparing a Buick to a Mercedes?

Mike

Of course there is a reason why... Henderson has a very good warranty program and based on as many times as my Dive Diva's 3mm Henderson Hyperstretch has been back for stitching repairs during the first year of ownership, I suspect they are fortunate if they even have a profit margin on this wonderful product. They certainly would not be able to offer such a superior product if they tried to match the low price of the inferior Bare brand...

She does love the way that it fits and oh yes she does look good in it…. Fortunately the additional 3mm core warmer, beanie and booties that are required accessories for the Henderson help to keep her warm in the unfortunate event that the water temp drops below 82 F....:wink:

Blue Moon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom