Bare vs. Henderson

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree that fit is the number one requirement for a wetsuit. Although I don't want to buy a wetsuit that fits well but leaks at the seams, neck, arms, and ankles or sngs easily etc.

Go with the BARE....I dive them both wet and dry,,,,great suits for the money.

I own both Henderson and Bare suits and have no complaints about either. Henderson definitely feels a little more stretchy, but is also quite a bit more, from a cost standpoint. Been diving in nothing but my Bare suit since I got it though...but that's because it's a 5/4 and it's getting colder.
If you do buy a Bare, I'd definitely second the recommendation to go with Scubatoys. They even called me to let me know the size/color I needed wasn't available and made alternate arrangements. Very good experience.

Just to add to the confusion - I have had a Henderson Hyperstretch for several years, and although very, very comfortable, it never really kept me warm. I recently started diving a Bare Artic 7mm and love it. Although the suit is a bit of a struggle to get on, once you have it on it is great. Have been on several dives in the past weeks in 50 and 60 degree water, and it really did the trick.

I have a Henderson Gold Core 3mm, and a Bare Velocity 5/4. From a construction point of view, I'm disappointed in the Henderson. Both a cuff and ankle stitching came undone sooner then I would have expected. The Gold Core does don a bit smoother then the Bare, and I believe dries faster (may be the lesser thickness).

The Bare has been great. Incorporates glide-skin inside the forearms and ankles for less water flushing. Zippers on the ankles makes donning/doffing much simpler...

Price/performance wise, I'd have to give laurel to Bare...

Oh... one last point... the Bare size charts are definitely just a tad undersized...

Have a bare 3mm, Bare 7mm Artic w/Bare 7mm hooded Vest, and a Bare ATR Trilam Dry w/cuff's and drygloves...

Would I buy a different brand, NO.... i've tried others, and Bare has the best quality in my opinion and they are built the last. They also stand behind their product quite well if you ever need it, I have not, but I have on occasion seen others, and they get treated quite well.

Bare: Just like someone else mentioned I think the sizes run small. My wife and I both have 5/4's and the 1mm. The 5/4's seem well constructed but the 1mm's were terrible. legs gathered, foot opening threads broke on both suits. We sent them back.

Also have a 5mm Hyperstretch. It stretch's all over the place and the size chart was dead on. I may stick with Henderson now that I've tried one.

I have a henderson gold core 3mm and love it. Its easy on, easy off, and exceptionally warm. I have not had any problems with the quality of the suit and have been a happy customer, not to mention it fits me like a glove, which is the most important thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom