Bare vs. Henderson

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike126

Contributor
Reaction score
I've started looking at wetsuits. I've noticed that the 7/6 Bare Velocity runs about 2/3rds the price of the 7/5mm Henderson Hyperstretch. Any reason why? How is the fit and finish of the Bare suits? Is this like comparing a Buick to a Mercedes?

Mike

You pay extra for the henderson name. Too bad you don't get a higher quality to go along with the higher price. I have a Bare 5/4 Velocity. It is a well made suit and it fits me very well.

I got my suit from www.scubatoys.com Call them to make your order and mention that you are a scuba board member and you'll get a 10% discount. Plus, they only charge the actual shipping cost.

The type of construction and the type of materials generally make up the difference in price. Glued vs. glued and blind stitched (the latter offers a better seal from water imho) the number and type of stretchy panels and the type of neoprene (different qualities of fabric) all contribute. I have found that my bare 3mm is okay for late spring and summer down south but do get a bit chilled during the winter even in high 70's temps. Look for a higher quality suit on sale if you want a warmer suit or layer as many suggest on here and wear a hood. I have no problem with my Bare 3mm but you get what you pay for. Check the zipper seals along with the neck and wrist/ankle seals. Take the time to find out about the different types of suit construction and make an informed decision based on the type of diving you will be doing. :toilet

Never had a Henderson, couldn't afford it, but I have a 7/6 Bare Velocity. I have used it on 5 dives in fresh water. Very satisfiied with it. Kept me plenty warm at 52 degrees. And by the way a paid 79.00 dollars and 10.00 dollars shipping for it on ebay, and this was a new suit.

I also just bought a Bare 5/4 Velocity at Scuba Toys. Fits great.. and got a good price. I have noticed that the sizing charts run small. It says I should wear a large but the XL fits perfect so try and go to a LDS and try one on to see what size fits.

ScubaJennifer - Thanks for the lead on the XS Scuba. I'll look as those as well.

If I get the Bare then ScubaToys is the place. I'm hoping to get to Dallas in December for a conference for work so I can go shopping! :D

Get the Bare. Value fit and function. I have a 5/4 Veoicity and 7mm Arctic. Both great comfortable suits. Frankly if I were to replace the Arctic I'd get get the same suit. It leaves me longing for nothing in comfort so I wouldn't sacrifice any thickness or firmness in my neoprene. Velocity uses the stetch material only in strategic locations, providing you with compression resistant (warmer) rubber for the most part.

Pete

Well having a henderson hyperjunk suit , i would never buy another suit from them again. Get quality , buy the bare or some other brand.

I seemed to have missed "flat Lock" in the first part of my post...this is the seam construction that is less water tight than glued and blind stitched. I have to agree that Bare suits are well made for the money and do the job. I think you can see a testers grid of warm and temperate water suits on scubadiving.com that will add info. into the mix for you. There is no one suit that does it for everyone and there will be those who love their Hendersons, or Pinnacle's or Mares or Body Gove's..the list goes on. Just make sure the fit is good and the price is something you can live with....there will always be someone that gets a better deal than you after you buy...lol....happy diving.

Back
Top Bottom