bare velocity or arctic+vest from leisurepro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

6gunsal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm still a prety new diver, but I think I'm ready to get my own wetsuit.
The two suits I'm looking at are the 7/6 velocity 7mil arctic. The velocity is cheaper, and from what I' read it will be more comfortable too. The arctic on the other hand is $50 more, BUT it comes with a 7mil hooded vest and free shipping.
Now would I be a moron for passing up the the arctic+vest just to save 30-40 bucks or is the velocity a better suit? I just dont know if I'll get much use out of the vest...

thanks for any input

It depends mostly on how cold the water is that you typically dive in, and your cold tolerance. What thickness of suits have you used so far, in what temperature water? Were you comfortable?

i dive rivers in central VA mainly, so what I've used so far are rental 7mm farmer johns with a 7mm vest over top. They've kept me warm for the most part. The coldest I've dove/dived with that setup has been 58 F and I just started getting chilled at the end of the second 30 min. dive.
I know that during the summer a single layer 7mil would suffice, but having the extra vest would be nice. I feel like this should be a no-brainer.

The Velocity is a more comfortable suit but I would not call it better.

The Arctic & Hooded step-in vest is a darned nice suit for cold water wet diving. I'd re-buy mine in a heartbeat. Being down the coast from me you may find that adding the hooded thermalskin vest at a latter date will give you a nice mild season outfit and save you 6 pounds of weight compared to the hooded step-in vest.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom