Bare Velocity 3/2 vs Bare Velocity 5/4 for multiple dives (Cozumel/Florida)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrethediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Zeroed in on Bare Velocity progressive stretch. Many divers recommend each of these suits. I am trying to pick between 3/2mm and 5/4mm versions. 5/4mm seems to have double glued/blind stitched seams vs. flat seam construction of the 3/2mm - I guess there's going to be more water seeping into the latter. I will be doing multiple dives (2-3 dives a day including deep dives) for the most part. I realize that I can pair 3/2mm with their 3mm vest (or hooded vest) - but what is the best version for tropics and Florida? Is 5/4mm better for multi-day diving in this suit (my LDS recommended 5mm Henderson Thermoprene for something like this). Thanks.

99.9% of the time you gonna burn up on CZM in that 5/4 IMO...I would not think twice about getting the 5/4 for there(ie get the 3/2)...As we speak,(we're flying out in the morning for CZM) I have JUST finished packing a set of Henderson skins, a 2 mm shortie, & a 2 mm Evo hooded vest--& highly considered leaving the chicken vest here @ home.......

Get the 3/2 is my vote.....

I live in Jupiter, FL. I dive a Pinnacle 5 mm suit. I have only had it for about 3 months, but in temperature ranges from 68(in a spring) to around 80, I am completely comfortable. I have never felt overheated in the Florida waters, but I also have never been to Cozumel.

Got to CZM today @ noon & dove this afternoon-----water temp was 82 on my computer & was perfect in skins only.....

Got to CZM today @ noon & dove this afternoon-----water temp was 82 on my computer & was perfect in skins only.....

I guess it also depends on how deep you go and how long you stay there/how many times a day you dive/how many days in the row you dive...I'd be interested in hearing about how you feel a few days down the line...Thanks.:popcorn:

I guess it also depends on how deep you go and how long you stay there/how many times a day you dive/how many days in the row you dive...I'd be interested in hearing about how you feel a few days down the line...Thanks.:popcorn:

I dive in the Philippines in water 81-84 deg-F. I used a 5/4 velocity and dive 2-5 usually 3 times a day, 60 minutes, over 4-8 days down to 60-90 feet. I got about 170 dives on the suit but about the last 40 dives I was also using my old compressed cold water hood. Held together pretty good but it was shot. I'm 200lbs and 6ft. I needed to use a 5mm shorty on the last trip because my back zipper came undone - the shorty was more bouyant than my full 5/4 so I left my suit behind after the last dive. I was hoping to replace it with a full 5mm but everyone seems to go for the multiple thicknesses now.

You need to gauge your own metabilism and how much diving you'll be doing. I've heard that the super stretchy neoprene compresses easier so you would probably go for thicker coverage.

Did 100'/65min then a 70'/75min dives this AM with skins & a 2 mm shortie...got a little cool last 15 minutes of 2nd dive but nothing 'bad'....really enjoyed diving with no weights(using 120 steel tanks)......

My LDS says they always dive Cozumel in 5mm as you normally start to feel it closer to day 3. Are you doing deco dives or you mean 100 feet max profile? I did 4 days twice a day in a dive skin last September (82F) although I was rather chilled towards the end.

-MM
Did 100'/65min then a 70'/75min dives this AM with skins & a 2 mm shortie...got a little cool last 15 minutes of 2nd dive but nothing 'bad'....really enjoyed diving with no weights(using 120 steel tanks)......

My LDS says they always dive Cozumel in 5mm as you normally start to feel it closer to day 3. Are you doing deco dives or you mean 100 feet max profile? I did 4 days twice a day in a dive skin last September (82F) although I was rather chilled towards the end.

-MM

Sounds like you have answered your own question.......again, have never brought anything more than skins, 2 mm shortie & 2 mm hooded vest~1k dives that away---but that's just me, I guess.....

Sounds like you need to get the 5/4(in your case), .......

I've been diving Cozumel (and other tropical spots) for 20 years. Did 4 trips to Cozumel last year. I've also surfed for 47 years - that requires wetsuits too.

With the amount of time I've been doing this and the number of times to Cozumel, it's given me an opportunity to make an observation: people react to temperature in substantially different ways.

I know lots and lots of very experienced divers (and people who are employed in the industry) who dive Cozumel with 5mm suits. And they don't get hot in those suits. I also know people who dive 'bare back' in Cozumel. There's no way for us to know which category you'll fit into.

You can spend a month searching for the one best solution and then get to Cozumel and discover that that 'best solution' was really the best solution for someone else - not you.

If it were me, I'd get the 5/4 - because I know what I need.

But for you, since I don't really know what you need, I'd recommend a contingency plan: get the 3/2 in case you're one of those that does not need a lot of thermal protection and rethink the vest thing as an insurance policy. As you know, there are lots of different types of neoprene vests. There's also some nice Polartech vests made by O'neil (they're marketed to the surf community - not as restrictive as neoprene and pretty effective)

I usually do not buy gear in Cozumel but they do have shops there. Prices and selection tend to be better in the states. If you get there and need to buy some gear, there's a nice shop on the corner of Av 5 Sur and Rosado Salas. There are other shops, but this one has a good location and pretty good inventory. In the evening, Edwardo is usually there - great guy, easy going, not pushy, works as an instructor during the day so he knows his stuff.

I'm going back next month. I can hardly wait.

Have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom