Bare Velocity 3/2 vs Bare Velocity 5/4 for multiple dives (Cozumel/Florida)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you so much for your informative post. I got Bare Velocity 5/4 for now and seriously considering getting Velocity 3/2 while I am at it. Although I will probably wait till I know how I feel in 5/4.

Hi there,
We dove CZM in early Dec. Water temps 80-83. My wife and I both have Bare Velocity, and for her the 5/4 was perfect and for me the 3/2 was perfect. But that is just us. At night she puts her feet on me to warm up. Yikes!
JT

Smart to go with the 5/4, only suit I dive with, but I am a TOTAL warm water weenie! Off to the Great Barrier Reef in a month, and if I do get hot (has never happened yet) I'll just flush the suit. One can cool off easily enough.....never figured a way to warm up while on a dive.

I've always dived a 3/2, and if I find myself chilled put on a hood and sometimes a bandana around my neck. Amazingly, more often than not solves the matter. Eating a good breakfast makes a big difference too (for me). Need the fuel in the furnace. However, if I'm tired doesn't seem to matter what I do to warm up.

Just got back from Puerto Aventuras, diving my Bare Velocity 5/4 for the first time, compared to a Bare Velocity 3/2 for about two or three years.

My first impression is that the 5/4 is a much better fit and feel than the 3/2 (both the same size: Large), and I never felt cold (water temp was 81 F, but winds were up a little during the week). Even if I were to dive in the Spring or Summer, I am positive that I will never go back to the 3/2. I have to say that the 5/4 added eight pounds to my weighting (I'm 5'-11"/170-175 pounds, in reasonable health and average fitness), but the comfort of the suit was worth the sacrifice in added lead.

In the Keys I take a 5mil. Tend to get chilled towards the end of the week. Have not been to Coz but in Bonaire with 82 degree water temps the 3 mil was fine. But then it was 85 + on the surface all the time.

In the Keys I take a 5mil. Tend to get chilled towards the end of the week. Have not been to Coz but in Bonaire with 82 degree water temps the 3 mil was fine. But then it was 85 + on the surface all the time.

That would be my recommendation too. When it gets cold in Florida it's cold. I've been diving a 3/2 all winter here in Coz. It's so old it's probably a 2/1. We only dive 2 to 3 times a week so that matters too. Get a Dive wetsuit, not a surf wetsuit and if you're worried about the 3/2 go with a 3 for Coz.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom