Bare trilam Redneck zipper fix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beekeeper5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I inherited a Bare ATR trilam drysuit that I received a couple months ago. The heat tape on the wrist seals were deteriorating so I removed the heat tape and resealed using Aquaseal. So far so good.

Then my zipper started to leak a couple inches from the top. I read somewhere that you can Aquaseal the top couple inches shut to buy you some time before replacing the zipper. See below for the redneck zipper fix. It worked but the zipper is falling apart with every dive getting worse. I’m at that point in time where I can no longer Aquaseal the zipper shut without able to get inside the drysuit.

The drysuit is about 6-7 years old with about 150+ dives. Zipper replacement is about $400. I’m also thinking of replacing the neoprene neckseal to latex for $85. Nothing wrong with the neoprene neckseal but I prefer latex.

Should I get the drysuit repaired or buy a new front entry drysuit for $700 (Pinnacle Freedom 2) or $1300 (Bare Trilam HD). Aside from the zipper and my desire to replace the neckseal, the drysuit is in good condition with no other leaks.

Enjoy the pics! It was fraying so I decided to pull it a bit more since I wasn't going to dive with it again without getting it replaced or fixed.

Attachments

• DSC_5043.JPG
    DSC_5043.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC_5048.JPG
    DSC_5048.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC_5049.JPG
    DSC_5049.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC_5050.JPG
    DSC_5050.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Self donning is No1 consideration for me.

I sent my Bare Trilam to Bare to see if it's worth getting the zipper fixed. I have a feeling that they'll say it's still a good suit and to get it fixed. I'm torn between getting my Bare Trilam fixed for $400 or buying a brand new Freedom 2 drysuit for $700.

Any comments out there?

Everyone speaks well of Steve Gamble (sp?) . . . have you thought of him?

Back
Top Bottom