Bare trilam hd tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i own this suit. i was lucky enough to get the 08' "hard as nails" model. it's durable as hell and i have dove it in almost every environment out there. i have factory pockets and as mentioned in another post they do "peel" on the corners but considering the amount of gear i often store in them when off the north atlantic coast, if they were going to pull off, it would have happened 100 dives ago. i was pretty impressed with the factory seals and only replaced them after stupidly trying the apollo bio seal for my neck... i cant prove it but am thoroughly convinced that the bio-seal (although comfortable) cut the life of my latex exponentially. the zipper is heavy duty and the only problem there is occasionally the inside "leather" strap occasionally gets caught in the outside zipper's teeth. i have the neoprene socks and bare trek boots. i NEVER have a problem getting my feet in and out. i WILL say my suit is "full custom" due to my athletic build and 52" chest, but my foot size is a 10 and i have had zero issues. i will also say that unlike the other member who claimed the sizing chart was off, my boot fit from day one (both inner and outer). a negative i may have found is in the suspenders. whether or not it is due to the weight of the suit itself, if i am inbetween dives and want to unzip and tuck my arms in, NO CHANCE. the suit is way to heavy to hang inside the suspenders. i dont know it i'd say i have any issues with the location of the dump valve, but if i did, it would be biased as i prefer a wrist dump. i dive in a horizontal trim position 98% of my dive ... would say 100% but didnt want to exaggerate ... and i think i got somewhat vertical the last time i surfaced another diver's lifeless body in the autumn. the last few dives in 2010 i came up with a wet spot in my crotch. i freaked out. after a few hundred dives with not so much as replacing seals, i was livid. i did all kinds of checks with lights, soapy water, etc and found nothing. i though maybe there was an issue with my halcyon pee valve but ended up not in same area. i did a few more hours under water sometimes up to 2 hours at a pop and sometimes in excess of 100' fresh water and 130 salt. still only a little wet spot. i sent it back to bare (lifetime warranty) and am waiting to see how they handle it. ill also be pretty impressed if they even find it (think about it, 90 minute dive and only a tiny spot of leakage?)
ill post more when i get their synopsis. i have owned diverite, pinnacle, dui, and this bare is by far my favorite. i highly recommend this suit if you have the pockets, but found in more recent years, that they have become a bit cocky and have raised their prices to be level with DUI. i find this to be a mistake and would also tell the OP to consider buying a used suit for $400 over a new suit for $2000. this may be especially true if the comments made earlier about bare changing this suit's make-up are true ... i'd hate to think they ruined something so well made ...
feel free to email or pm if more info is needed ...
thanks
ron
dive safe!

Small update: My left leg started leaking 10 dives after I had replaced my boots with a proper size on my HD. I thought I screwed up the gluing and my seams are leaking. When we did the pressure testing yesterday it turned out that the new boot was leaking on the heel seam, where 2 halves of the neoprene are stitched together, that's a new boot.

And I recalled one more thing about Bare quality. When I received my suit- brand new out of the box it was leaking in on the wrist where the sleeve is glued to the glove ring. they just saved some glue and shipped a leaking suit :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom