Bare tech dry hood fit questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt S.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I got myself a nice used drysuit off the classifieds, and I am doing my best to understand proper fit before I even get the darn thing wet at the end of next week. (New diver, taking a drysuit orientation right before my OW class dives, going dry from day 1... largely thanks to all the ScubaBoard drysuit lovers!)

By the numbers I am a good fit for the Large Bare tech dry hood which came with my used suit. Of course, size charts aren't reality... The hood is actually pretty easy to get on and zip up, and is nice and snug from my jaw to the top of my head. (In fact I wonder how I will equalize my ears if the hood's dry?)

It feels tight at the neck, though... The tight area depends on how I have it adjusted. It's either a little tight under my chin, so I can feel it when I swallow, or it's a little tight at the sides of the neck.

I just don't know how tight is TOO tight, especially around the neck! I have a feeling that if I am questioning it, then it is probably too tight and I should stretch it out with the basketball trick. But again, I have zero experience.

Now, this hood is designed to go *over* the neoprene neck seal on my CD4 drysuit... right? Which would make it even tighter...but, I don't want to stretch it out so much that it doesn't seal right.

Are there any tricks I can use to evaluate the fit? Like, if you can stick a carrot under the neck seal, but not a banana, it's fitting right? :)

How much of your chin should poke out of the hood, anyway? That might be a good place to start.

Thanks in advance for you patience and tips. (I can't believe what a great resource this place has been... every stupid question I have gets a useful answer with either a search or a post.)

Your hood should be snug but not constricting in any way. My dry suit has latex seals so that is not an issue. With neoprene though it could get too tight and yes the hood goes over the seal. Now for the surprise. The hood is NOT dry! it is a wet hood that is most likely 7 mil and you will get water in it. It's no big deal because if it fits properly and there is no water circulation you will stay warm. I would not stretch anything until you have tried on the entire setup and had your instructor look at you in it. The carotid sinus reflex is very real and if it's too tight it can cause you to black out at a most inopportune time. How much of the chin should protrude? This is entirely a personal choice issue. If I'm in water that is not real cold I will usually have it completely under my chin, and it may not even be zipped. Cold water I wear it completely covering to the bottom of my lower lip. What is right for you can only be determined by you when you've dove it a few times. It may be more comfy with the chin covered or completely exposed. I don't believe there really is one correct way.

Thanks, that helps a lot. I can't wait to try this stuff out, all this reading only gets you so far. :)

Jim,

I was told that the only significant difference between a wetsuit hood and a drysuit hood is the bib. The drysuit hood does not have a bib (except for the DUI drysuit hood). The wetsuit hood usually have a small bib that you can tuck under your wetsuit. Is this correct?

Minh

JimLap:
The hood is NOT dry! it is a wet hood that is most likely 7 mil and you will get water in it. It's no big deal because if it fits properly and there is no water circulation you will stay warm.

Not always. Many wet suit hoods do have bibs but I also use the hood from my drysuit when diving in my 5 mil. If it's cold enough to need a bib then I'm diving dry! I have a hood with a bib that I usually use when diving wet but it is a 2 mil titanium. It does not have to be a thick hood to greatly increases the amt of warmth you feel. Just using a beanie on a windy day makes a big difference. The greatest amt of heat loss occurs thru the head. Any time you put a covering on and slow that loss keeps you that much warmer. There are also the true dry hoods which are usually latex and keep the head dry but they are also used in conjunction with a neoprene hood since latex is not that great an insulator.

I have one of these, and while I don't expect it to be completely dry, as my hair sticks out the back, I far prefer it to hoods with bibs even with wetsuits, and it still seems pretty dry. Can't remember what I did with it when I was using it with a neoprene-seal drysuit, maybe I just didn't zip it all the way. It's a "dry enough" hood, for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom