Bare NexGen socks too tight. . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
To continue the saga, I'm becoming increasingly convinced that the socks on my new-to-me Bare NexGen are just too small.

Bare is quoting me $140 to replace them (plus shipping to Canada of course), are there any reasonable alternatives?

I don't have extremely large feet (although I wouldn't call size 12-13 petite), but I'm concerned that if I put any sort of sock on them, there will be so much compression that my little toes will catch a chill. Not to mention the problem I've already reported in getting those suckers off.

Thanks again!!

John, doing this change is not something that only Bare can do, there are people in the US so you don't have to do the out of country shipping. I'm certain some people will be on shortly to tell you where to look. And this is something you can DIY. If you feel like it.

John, doing this change is not something that only Bare can do, there are people in the US so you don't have to do the out of country shipping. I'm certain some people will be on shortly to tell you where to look. And this is something you can DIY. If you feel like it.

Do you have a source for crushed neoprene socks?

The swap looks relatively easy (easier than a neck seal), but I can't source replacements for a reasonable amount of money.

i have a scubapro everdry4 and had a shop shorten the suit, they had to remove the socks, cut the legs to length, and reinstall the socks, i believe they are stitched as well as glued and taped on the inside, looks perfect, no leaks.

i have a scubapro everdry4 and had a shop shorten the suit, they had to remove the socks, cut the legs to length, and reinstall the socks, i believe they are stitched as well as glued and taped on the inside, looks perfect, no leaks.

I just inverted the leg. These are 'just' glued and taped on the outside. . .

John, contact Mike at dive right in scuba, (they have a forum), he won't put a foot up your butt (pun intended). There is also a gent in Fl that does it. Now you could go to Scuba Diving Gear, Wet Suit, Surf Suit, Snorkeling Gear, Diving Gloves, Dive Boots, I picked up some socks from them (so I could us my dry suit boots), they are glued, but they are holding up fine so far. No sign of wear, after about 50 dives. HTH.

Here's a chance to use the Sitech boot ring system. You put one set of rings on the bottom of the leg and then the other on your favorite boot. Switch out boots any time you want.

And a final update. . .

I spoke further with Bare, the larger socks have a larger leg opening, so it is not "just" a simple R&R job.

More importantly, if Bare doesn't do the work, the warranty is void. . .

Since this suit has a lifetime warranty on the zipper, I'm not going to touch the sock repair.

Thanks to all for their advice and pointers

And a final update. . .

I spoke further with Bare, the larger socks have a larger leg opening, so it is not "just" a simple R&R job.

More importantly, if Bare doesn't do the work, the warranty is void. . .

Since this suit has a lifetime warranty on the zipper, I'm not going to touch the sock repair.

Thanks to all for their advice and pointers

Lifetime warranty on the zipper? I know they had the lifetime warranty on the seams but the zipper thing must be new. They will void the warranty if you have someone other than Bare do the work? That is totally absurd, if while doing the work the suit was damaged that is fine but to just outright void the warranty? When my suit was at Bare for the first zipper repair I inquired about installing a p-valve and they said there is no way a p-valve can be installed in the Bare NexGen due to the material it uses. Well when I got it back from them I installed a Halcyon valve and it has been fine for over two years now. When they had it for the second zipper replacement they did put a note on the invoice that there was a customer installed p-valve, they still did the zipper replacement under warranty. If they are getting as strict as you say I would not consider purchasing another bare product, which is a shame because they do make an excellent drysuit.

---------- Post Merged at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:02 PM ----------

I forgot to add, I guess I just really voided my warranty. I installed a new neck seal on the suit last week. To have bare do the repair it would cost $40 shipping each way plus $90 for the neck seal install and it would be gone around a month. Ya I don't think so.

I forgot to add, I guess I just really voided my warranty. I installed a new neck seal on the suit last week. To have bare do the repair it would cost $40 shipping each way plus $90 for the neck seal install and it would be gone around a month. Ya I don't think so.

Easy there, I specifically asked about replacing wrist/neck seals and they said that was OK. Wasn't relevant to my topic about replacing the socks, so I left it out of the narrative (my bad I guess). Sorry for any excitement I caused

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom