Bare Drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brandon

Shop Independent Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Really hate making this comparison threads... but I'm in the market for a new drysuit and I'm having a really hard time deciding.

I know I don't want to spend the cash on a DUI suit, and have had my eye on Bare suits for a while now. I've narrowed it down to a couple different ones, but still can't decide.

I like the CD4 Pro and the XCD2 PRO (and Tech even...), but I guess what's hanging me up is deciding between 4mm compressed Neoprene and the 2mm Hyper-compressed neoprene.

From diving a 7mm neoprene suit, I really enjoyed the extra warmth, but wasn't so fond of the extra weight (although it wasn't a problem).

Is there much of a difference between the two suits in terms of weighting / durability / warmth?

-Brandon.

Well, Brandon, for what it's worth, I really, really, really, really, like my XCD2 "Tech".

Keep in mind that this is my first D/S, but I tried to analyze as many variables as I could before I purchased it. I am not disappointed.

But, to each his own.

the K

Brandon,

I can't give any advice on either of those suits; however, I will say that I (and two of my buddies) have the NexGen and we love 'em. I think the Bare suits are a great bargain. Mine has been used for about 50 dives and I have no complaints about it at all. And for around $600 for a complete set-up, if it lasts me another year, I'll be thrilled. Can't recommend them enough.

J.

The Kraken:
Well, Brandon, for what it's worth, I really, really, really, really, like my XCD2 "Tech".

Keep in mind that this is my first D/S, but I tried to analyze as many variables as I could before I purchased it. I am not disappointed.

But, to each his own.

the K

That's what I'm leaning towards...

Still a good choice for -really- cold water?

-B.

I, too, have been really pleased with the XCD2 Tech but this is also my first (and only) drysuit. I dive it in water temperatures consistently in the upper 30's to lower 40's F with the T100 and fleece undergarments...keeps me quite comfortable.

I dive an XCD2 pro dry & have been very happy with it. I also have a nex-gen that I bought as a backup. For the money, the nex-gen is the better bargain. Just make sure you fit the stock size in the nex-gen. I would go with the custom sizing option in the XCD2. It is about $100 more but WELL worth it.

James

I've got the XCD2 Tech and it's been great. I dive regualarly in upper 30's - 40's and it's been great. With the right layering, the suit is very flexible for a wide temp range.

In hind sight, I would save a couple of bucks and go with the Pro. It's actually more stream lined and the Tech is no more "self donning" than the Pro. We've got 4 XCD2's in my regular dive crew and everyone is very happy.

As a side note, I recently did 2 dives in 49 water with nothing more than a power stretch top and bottom (by mistake). I was so comfortable that I didn't notice until I started packing up my gear that my under garment was sitting in it's bag... unused.

I use the XCD Tech Dry and love it. I can don and doff it myself OK, with a bit of a struggle. Nice tough suit that is warm, and mine has always been dry. It is heavy however and would not be my first choice if I had to travel a lot with it by air. If you are using it for local diving or trips where you go by car then the XCD will be a choice I doubt you would regret. If you plan air travel with it I'd tend to go with a Bare Trilam HD.

I have the XCD2 Pro and in the beginning I thought I hated my brand new custom drysuit. But, after reading several posts on Scubaboard, I knew I would just have to continue getting used to it. Well after only 8 dives in the suit I love it. The lakes here in Michigan are still quite cold down around the 20' mark. I have been wearing just the fleece unders with no thinsulate and I'm plenty warm. The neck seal takes some getting used to also, it feels like it's choking the s**t out of you. The XCD2 Pro seems real tough also. :D

ffde31:
I have the XCD2 Pro and in the beginning I thought I hated my brand new custom drysuit. But, after reading several posts on Scubaboard, I knew I would just have to continue getting used to it. Well after only 8 dives in the suit I love it. The lakes here in Michigan are still quite cold down around the 20' mark. I have been wearing just the fleece unders with no thinsulate and I'm plenty warm. The neck seal takes some getting used to also, it feels like it's choking the s**t out of you. The XCD2 Pro seems real tough also. :D

If your neck seal feels like it is choking you then it is imperative that you trim it to fit you properly. If the tightness of the neck seal is enough to slow blood flow through the major arteries in your neck then you could black-out (not good in any situation, but especially underwater!!). There is a true story in the book "Diver Down" with this happening in it with horrible results. It should feel snug but not tight and certainly not choking tight. Any expereienced dive shop should be able to trim it for you to fit properly. I would not dive it again until it fits safely. The XCD is a great suit by the way, tough as nails and mine has always been dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom