Bare Drysuit Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got my drysuit "waterproof socks" removed and replaced with what OSS calls "DV boots." I'm going to put my DUI RockBoots up for sale, maybe 15 dives on them. The DUI RockBoots aren't as warm, the socks require more upkeep than the DV Boots, the DV boots are smaller on the outside, so fit better in my fins. The DV Boots don't have the snag potential of the RockBoot laces, and they are quicker to don and doff. The RockBoots (DUI or Bare) do have a slightly more rigid sole, which is better for walking and for rocky entry. The RockBoots have less problem with air getting in your feet, since they are laced on, and are more secure from accidentally coming off. I have finger/toe circulation problems, so I like the free air movement to my feet provide by the DV Boots.

Another question:

I was trying to figure out what drysuit the Bare Trilam HD Tech most closely resemble. The original drysuit I was looking at was the DUI TLX450 and DUI TLS350. I thought the TLS350 felt flimsy. I like the feel of th TLX450. Both the TLX450 and TLS350 are consider trilams. So my question is - is the Bare suit more like the TLX450 or the TLS350 when it comes to the construction and material?

Thanks again.
Minh

Very happy with my Bare CD4
Whatever you do DO NOT GET the Rockboots.
Mine are being cut off right now
PM sent as well

I have the Bare HD trilam. The trilam is very think twice the thickness of DUI's trilam. Also the latex of Bare's HD wrist seal is twice DUI's thickness. This makes the Bare a "win" in durability but the DUI is more comfortable with it's thinner materials.

If you really want a ring system. Look at Diving Concepts. DC's rings will work with any drysuit and are better than Bare's DC is in Santa Barbara Calif. and makes suits comparable to Bare. If you like the Bare you will also like DC. Yes you do want the suspenders. The rings go with the dry gloves. It's not cold enough here to make me want dry gloves. only gets to low 50's in So Cal.

As for crush v. compressed neoprene. why care how they made it smaller? What matters more is if there is nylon laminated to it and what kind of nylon and the overall thickness.

mgersch@cox.net:
Very happy with my Bare CD4
Whatever you do DO NOT GET the Rockboots.

I have "neoprene socks" on my Bare drysuit. These have no soles at all and are just soft all around. I use these with DUI Rockboots. The DUI rockboots are expensive at like $90 but well made and I do walk over rocks and bolders to get in and out of the surf. Therockboot privide good support to the feet and ankles while caryying heavy gear on uneven rocks. But get socks and DUI boots

I also have a Bare trilam. The ATR light. I have the neoprene "socks" and wear the Bare trek boots over them. Very happy with it. Easy front entry, and the seals, as mentioned earlier, are great.

Dave

I would second the soft sock neoprene with the Bare Trek Boot over it. The attached boot-like hard footgear on the Bare suit can cause air to become trapped inside there and make the suit bouyant in the feet. I've heard of several Bare Trilam owners cutting them off and replacing them with the above combo. I just bought the suit w/ the neoprene socks and added the Trek Boots. They kind of look like black Chuck Taylors. In fact, I know of one diver who actually uses black Chuck Taylors(a size or two bigger than usual) over the neoprene socks.

Another consideration is your fins. I had been using the SP Jets in XLs w/ 7mm wetsuit boots w/ sole. But, I found out after trying everything on dry land that the Jets were too tight. The Turtles were then recommended to me. I went with those and they fit nicely. Not trying to sell you Turtles, just make sure your fins fit over whatever footgear/sock combo you get. SP sells the Jets in XXL, but I've seen them and the foot pocket is the size of a NYC studio apartment.

Good luck.

LobstaMan

:lol: I had the same experience reference the fins. The XXL Scubapro jets would make a nice sized house for a golden retriever.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom