Bare Drysuit Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As mentioned, Bare uses the Si Tech valves, which historically are less problematic/more dependable than the Apeks valves used on DUI.
The most secure exhaust valve on the market is the Si Tech hazmat valve, made exclusively for Viking. It has an extra mushroom valve inside that keeps water out, even when the valve is depressed with no air in the suit. Inexplicably, it is $5 less than the low profile valve.
Most ring systems allow for the swapping of cuffs in the field. Last I saw, Zip Seals gave the choice of either glove OR cuff, not both. Some folks set to work hacking their Zip Seals to allow cuffs to be worn, in addition to gloves. (wet hand as opposed to wet arm when holed)
Viking offers a ring system for the neck which allows for in-field replacement of either neckseal or hood. They've been around for years.

By hard boots I ment the hard boots directly attached to the suit W/O the sock. It came down to two things, the BAre had a more streamlined fit and was $500 less.

I understood. I was just trying to point out that a lot of people don't find the stock rockboot solution to be any better. Of course it's a lot easier to buy different shoes than to send in the suit and have the vulcanized boots taken off.

What it came to down for me was I could get a full custom Bare suit for around $1000 less than a comparable DUI or $500 less than a USIA.

WOW! Thanks for all the great information. Just a few more follow up questions:

1. What is the diameter of the cuff ring system? Is it really 6"?

2. What type of hood system do people wear with their drysuit? Do drysuits require special hoods or do I use the same type of hood as the one I would use for a wetsuit? I assume I don't want to use something with a bib or a vest.

Thanks again for all the responses so far!

Minh

reefugee:
1. What is the diameter of the cuff ring system? Is it really 6"? (nope)

2. What type of hood system do people wear with their drysuit? Do drysuits require special hoods or do I use the same type of hood as the one I would use for a wetsuit? I assume I don't want to use something with a bib or a vest.
The ID of my 2 most popular ring systems is 3-1/2" for the Viking/Si Tech Bayonet style & 3-3/4" for the "Viking Classic".
You'll probably be seeing more of the 3-1/2" variety.

Drysuit hoods are ideally attached to the suit, so your head stays warm & dry. (Think of wearing a raincoat with the hood down.)
Latex hoods usually come with a Thinsulate liner for insulation & to make sure the hood material doesn't make mischief on the ears.
Drysuits common to cold water can be had with an attached neoprene hood option.

There are non-attached neoprene "drysuit hoods" that often have a smooth skin sealing area around the neck. Some have zippers up the back to make for easier donning, especially for folks with hair.
Some suits can have a neck ring system so you can have the best of both worlds, though you'll probably need help donning.

You can use a wetsuit hood in a pinch, but if you're going to the trouble & expense of getting a drysuit, its a pity to not stay as dry & warm as possible.
I'd advise getting a suit with the hood attached; If you find that the attached hood is more of a pain than what its worth, you can always whack it off.

Neoprene drysuit hoods have a neck but no bib.

022030_big.jpg

The picture is of a Henderson hood, their hyperstretch neoprene makes it a lot easier to get on than standard neo.

BTW, in the back of my Bare drysuit manual, there's a section on accessories. It says the cuff rings can be used to attach either seals or dry gloves (but not both at the same time).

I have the Bare xcd2 tech dry. Front zip w/suspenders. I love the suit. Had it custom made for a few bucks more. Warm, dry, and tough as nails.

I went with the cuffs for cold water and pockets. Didn't like either one when it came in. I tried their rings and had nothing but issues. The pockets are to soft.

So, I had Viking Bayonette rings put on. By far the best I've seen and used. Inside seal is there also. I also had the Diving Concepts bellows pocket put on both sides. For the money I think I did pretty good. Of course I would have changed a few things from the start. Perfect now....

The valve for me in in the middle and I have no problem with it.

Hope this helps.

Also Bare makes the most comfortable undergarments. For the boots I like the Trek boots. Much more comfortable then the DUI ones. Just change the laces to bungie.

Thanks for the continued information. This is really helpful.

Just a few more questions. Based on what I have heard, it sounds like the "lace-up Boot and dry sock" is a good option to add for $59.00

What type of neck seal should I get? I can get Neo-Stretch-Skin or trimamable Latex. From what I have read, it sounds like the trimmable latex makes a better fit, but they are easier to damage. The Neo-Stretch-Skin aren't quite as water tight and does involve stretching out the neoprene before first use. What would you pick?

Wrist seal: I am going with the cuff rings ($59), so I assume my only option is latex.

Last - I am going to add suspenders ($49) and the bellow pocket with zipper ($59).

The package supposedly comes with a dry hood, "a deluxe fleece/undergarment" and gloves. I have no clue what a "deluxe fleece undergarment" is. I may see if I can upgrade the freebies to better stuff like the Henderson hood and a nicer undergarments, and use my current gloves from my wetsuit.

Anyway - everyone has been great! Thanks again for helping me pick out a drysuit.

Minh

I like Latex seals myself, but have heard they're more fragile. IME that's not been the case but YMMV.

I dive a Viking and the only shortcoming I see to it is the boots. I've heard a lot of negative things about the DUI rockboots and I don't see it. I love them, and they're not quite the same as Bare's boots either, at least the bare suit I saw.

IMO since you're diving a drysuit then dive dry meaning get drygloves and hood and boot with it. You're on the right track.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom