Bare Drysuit Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefugee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello All,

I am looking at getting a drysuit for both my fiancee and me. The original suit I was looking at was the DUI CLX450. However, the suit was very expensive once all the options (pockets, zip seals) was added in.

I went to dive tank and looked at the Bare drysuit. I am trying to decide between the XCD2 Tech and Trilam HD Tech for myself. Dive tank said that there is no XCD2 Tech for women (although Bare's brochure said they are available for 2006), so my fiancee is getting the Trilam. I am leaning more towards the Trilam HD for myself.

I have a few questions regarding drysuits:

1. What is the difference between compressed neoprene and crush neoprene? The XCD2 Tech has "2mm hyper-compressed Metalite neoprene".

2. DUI's drysuit has the inflator valve in the middle of the chest. Bare's drysuit seems to have the inflator valve off to the right. Does this affect performance? Also - I was wondering if the BCD straps interfere with the valve because of the positioning. I have a SP Knighthawk BCD, and my fiancee has the SP Ladyhawk BDC.

3. How does the quality of the Bare dump valve compare the the quality of the DUI dump valve? How is the durability of the DUI CLX450 compared to the durability of the Trilam HD?

5. I have seen the DUI zip seal system, and I really like it. It's is also available to the neck. Looking a DiveTank, Bare has the cuff ring system. I assume this is similar to the zip seal system. Anybody know where I can see pictures of how the cuff ring system works? Also - DiveTank doesn't list a neck "cuff ring" system as an option. But they also don't list the DUI zip seal for the neck as an option either. Do you really need one for the neck?

6. Neoprene or latex for the neck seal?

Last - any compelling reasons why I should go with the DUI CLX450 instead of the the Bare Trilam HD Tech or the Bare XCD2 Tech?

Thanks again for reading this and for any comments and suggestions.

Minh

1. DUI is the only one that uses the patented "crushed neoprene" while the others use a hyper compressed version. Ideally the crushed is better since it will not have any compression at all (the "crushing" has taken care of that) but the Bare 2 mm hyper is pretty much compression resistant as well at lot less $$$.

2. The location of the inflator will not matter -- we are talking a mere 2-3" after all and they will not interfere with the straps on your BCs.

3. Never dove with the DUI, but my Bare dump valve is good, efficient and easy to use

4. Durability is good on both suits

5. Bare doesn't offer the same system but you can always have it fitted with the Dui zip seals if you want

6. Latex seals better, but if you are allergic to it then choose neoprene

Tamas:
1. DUI is the only one that uses the patented "crushed neoprene" while the others use a hyper compressed version. Ideally the crushed is better since it will not have any compression at all (the "crushing" has taken care of that) but the Bare 2 mm hyper is pretty much compression resistant as well at lot less $$$.

2. The location of the inflator will not matter -- we are talking a mere 2-3" after all and they will not interfere with the straps on your BCs.

3. Never dove with the DUI, but my Bare dump valve is good, efficient and easy to use

4. Durability is good on both suits

5. Bare doesn't offer the same system but you can always have it fitted with the Dui zip seals if you want
6. Latex seals better, but if you are allergic to it then choose neoprene

Actually DUI is keeping zip seals exclusive to DUI suits retrofits are only being done at the factory .

the zips are vastly superior to cuff rings, I used to use a ring sytem, the ring was almost 6 inches in diameter and rigid. the zip seals are barely noticeable.

DUI is more expensive but that is because they offer features that others don't.

My husband and I both have the Bare Trilam HD Tech. We had wanted the Bare XCD2 Tech but the only suit that they could make custom for me was the Bare Trilam HD Tech (my husband has the off the rack size, I however, am not). We are really happy with the Trilam HD. We went with neoprene neck and wrist seals because I hate having anything really tight around my neck, and the LDS owner who dives Canadian waters a lot said it would be more comfortable. the only problem with the neoprene neck seal is that it leaks a little more eaisly than the latex...but it's more durable. We also went with the "dry" hood with zipper and it helps keep the neck seal more secure. The only "extra" option we got were the suspenders. Hope this helps:)

I've been through the same decision making process recently. Tamas is pretty much dead on, but I'll add a couple of comments.

3. Bare's valves are at least comparable. They use Si-Tech valves, which are one of the industry standard choices for all drysuits, including high-end. review - http://www.divernet.com/equipment/0406divertests.shtml#sitech

5. Just to make it clear. Bare does not offer a Zip-Seals type system. The cuff rings are for the optional dry glove system, they don't have anything to do with seal replacement.

BTW, I bought a Bare trilam from Divetank. I'd do the same again, but would save a few bucks by not getting the gloves and hood they package with it. The hood didn't fit at all (my neck is too thick even for the XL) and the gloves are stiff as boards. I replaced both with Henderson Hyperstretch and am much happier.

Im in the steps of getting a trilam bare too. DUI is nice but way too much $$$$$$$$$$$

Bought the Bare XCD2 "Tech" from DiveTank.

The different number of "off the rack" sizes from Bare are great!

Really pleased with the suit and the service.

But, "Bare" in mind that this is my first D/S (sorry about the pun - NOT!)

the K

Just got the XCD2 Tech for me and the BIlam for my GF from Divetanks. Hers was here in a week and a half, mine took 6 weeks. I looked long and hard before deciding on the BARE. I got the cuff rings and hard boots. I haven't dove it yet but I don't like the boots already. It was my understanding that the cuff rings let you replace the cuff seals in the field as well as to use with the dry glove docking system? Both are quality suits and I will report back when I get to dive them.

reefugee:
Hello All,

I am looking at getting a drysuit for both my fiancee and me. The original suit I was looking at was the DUI CLX450. However, the suit was very expensive once all the options (pockets, zip seals) was added in.

I went to dive tank and looked at the Bare drysuit. I am trying to decide between the XCD2 Tech and Trilam HD Tech for myself. Dive tank said that there is no XCD2 Tech for women (although Bare's brochure said they are available for 2006), so my fiancee is getting the Trilam. I am leaning more towards the Trilam HD for myself.

I have a few questions regarding drysuits:

1. What is the difference between compressed neoprene and crush neoprene? The XCD2 Tech has "2mm hyper-compressed Metalite neoprene".

2. DUI's drysuit has the inflator valve in the middle of the chest. Bare's drysuit seems to have the inflator valve off to the right. Does this affect performance? Also - I was wondering if the BCD straps interfere with the valve because of the positioning. I have a SP Knighthawk BCD, and my fiancee has the SP Ladyhawk BDC.

3. How does the quality of the Bare dump valve compare the the quality of the DUI dump valve? How is the durability of the DUI CLX450 compared to the durability of the Trilam HD?

5. I have seen the DUI zip seal system, and I really like it. It's is also available to the neck. Looking a DiveTank, Bare has the cuff ring system. I assume this is similar to the zip seal system. Anybody know where I can see pictures of how the cuff ring system works? Also - DiveTank doesn't list a neck "cuff ring" system as an option. But they also don't list the DUI zip seal for the neck as an option either. Do you really need one for the neck?

6. Neoprene or latex for the neck seal?

Last - any compelling reasons why I should go with the DUI CLX450 instead of the the Bare Trilam HD Tech or the Bare XCD2 Tech?

Thanks again for reading this and for any comments and suggestions.

Minh
I have no experience with the Bare suits so I am not able to comment. I do however own a CLx450. As others have mentioned DUI holds the patents on the ZipSeal system and they will only install Zips on one of their own suits. If you are set on ZipSeals then your only option is to get a DUI suit. In my opinion this is the only reason to limit your choices to DUI suits. Since you are considering a Bare suit, it is clear that you are not limiting your options.

The ring system avaialble for the Bare suits are a rigid circle of hard plastic, the DUI ZipSeals are more like a super heavy duty ZipLock bag seal formed into a circle. The ZipSeals are flexible, but not as flexible as the suit fabric, and while they will bend they will not compress. When you are diving you will still have a bulk around your wrists, the advantage is this bulk can be shaped like an oval or other rounded shape, but it will never go away.

Many divers use the Bare suits, and generally any brand suit that is made from quality materials, and is well constructed should make you happy.

The biggest single factor you should be considering in a dry suit is the fit. Slight differences in size and cut can make a very big difference in the water. For me it was an easy choice since I am an almost exact perfect fit for the off the shelf DUI Extra Large suits, and I also wanted ZipSeals. I purchased my suit used and am quite happy with it.

Keep your options open and you should be happy with whatever suit you get.

Mark Vlahos

Wildcard:
I got the cuff rings and hard boots. I haven't dove it yet but I don't like the boots already. It was my understanding that the cuff rings let you replace the cuff seals in the field as well as to use with the dry glove docking system?

An online search suggests you are correct, but I can't find anything definitive This points up one advantage of DUI, they've got an infinitely better website in terms of actual information, you can even download the very complete manuals. Meanwhile, Bare has a typical brochureware website and just adequate manual.

As to the boots. Apparently rockboots (whether DUI or Bare) are just as bad, so no advantage there. I just skipped the boot issue entirely and bought a pair of cheap water shoes/booties to go over the "soft sock." Converse All-stars are another popular option. I also picked up a cheap pair of closeout river shoes with bungee laces just in case I decide to go hiking in my drysuit for some reason, but it looks like I'll need fins larger than Mare XL to use them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom