Bare Drysuit Owners?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gstroupe:
I'm considering a Bare Trilam drysuit and wanted feedback from any owners out there...good or bad.

thanks!

I'm also looking into the Bare Trilam or possibly a TLS350 from DUI. I was thinking that I would have my LDS measure me and see if I am a stock size. Bare has more sizes than most so I am hoping one of them will be 'perfect'. I'll save money with the Bare.

I have friends that have the Trilam both regular and HD. The fellow with the regular one has a couple of differant brands and likes the trilam the best. He dives year round here and says that the trilam keeps him the most comfortable in warm water. I asked him why that would be and he didn't have an explanation.

DrDuktayp

I have 35 dives on my Bare Trilam HD and I am very happy with it.

The only advice I would give is to get the bellows pockets. I have a single flat pocket and its pretty much useless.

I can easily open and close the zipper myself and only need help from my buddie in routing my inflator hose under my arm for me.

No one mentioned the less expensive Nex-Gen drysuit. I have 37 dives on mine and like it. However, I intend to have the latex seals replaced with more heavy duty ones as I did have a pin hole leak in one wrist seal.

I have the Nex-gen and I love it. Of course its the only drysuit I have ever owned....so take my opinion FWIW.

I have 50 plus dives on it. I sent it back to the factory last year at the end of the season to get cuff rings put on. This allows for quick changing of the wrist seals in case of a leak and they mate with the SI-tech dry gloves.

I am happy to read that you're all (for the most part) happy with your Bare dry suits. I am waiting on my first XCD2 from the factory, as I had one custom fit for me with a few options (like a pocket, relief zipper, and cuff rings). I also opted for the lace-up Trek boots as I may be doing some walking in mine, not sure if I'll like the extra fuss with the boots, but it seemed like a better option for my needs.

I wonder how many people like me sat back and thought maybe I should say nothing.
The only problem with the NEX Gen is anything thing can put a hole in it.

bought an ATR HD through internet at divetank.com (feb. 2005).
dive around the year with a dry suit in cold water.

cons:
boots too large :banghead: (I don't know who made the mistake) (not happy at all with that) so that there is a big quantity of air inside and I dove all the time feet higher than the head or a vertically manner. :D - I'm joking (or almost)
anti-lower-leg inflation keep air inside the boots. other functionality?
When I surface beside a beach babies scream, cry for help because it seems I look like the devil. However because black is DIR....
self-donning a little hard
pocket becomes unglued. (not happy at all with that)
neck in neo: already some cuts (not happy at all with that) - seen this afternoon

pros:
Until now no leak (very happy)
the price in comparison of .....

conclusion:
not too bad but I'm still waiting for a definitive answer (I watch for the quality)

wolf eel:
I wonder how many people like me sat back and thought maybe I should say nothing.
The only problem with the NEX Gen is anything thing can put a hole in it.

I have had no problems with holes. I dive almost exclusively on wrecks so there are plenty of sharp bits of metal around. The suit has plenty of rust stains on it so apparently I am bumping against those wrecks while rooting around for stuff. The only water in my suit is the sweat builds up before I can get in the water.

That said....Another guy who dives on the same boat with me has a newer Nex-Gen and he has already put a hole in the knee just above the knee pad. So it probably depends on luck and technique.

Up there in Alaska, wouldn't you just be better off going with a neoprene drysuit? I can't comment of the Bare Trilam, but the XCD2 is a great suit for the money once you get it pocketed and suspendered properly.
I had a 6mm D6 that was beautifully made but I never got near water cold enough to use it.

Tom Winters:
Up there in Alaska, wouldn't you just be better off going with a neoprene drysuit? I can't comment of the Bare Trilam, but the XCD2 is a great suit for the money once you get it pocketed and suspendered properly.
I had a 6mm D6 that was beautifully made but I never got near water cold enough to use it.

I do think that I would have been happy with either Bare or DUI. I do like the Bare boots better than my DUI rock boots. However, I just ordered a DUI TLS350 the DUI was on special in the 'factory closeouts'. I already have a DUI Flex50/50 and like it. The lower portion is compressed neoprene like the XCD2 uses. The Flex 50/50 is heavy when wet and for warmth I would rather have fluffier undergarments than heavy neoprene drysuit. The nice thing about the trilams are they dry REALLY fast. I had an extra day on a business trip last February that I didn't dive as I didn't want fly (the next day) with a wet drysuit.

DrDuktayp

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom