Bare 5/4 or 3/2 Velocity for Florida Springs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rockinrebel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everybody,
My wife and I are going to Crystal River in November. My wife is needing a wetsuit and has narrowed it down to Bare wetsuits (Velocity-Progressive). Now the hard to answer question. 5/4 or 3/2? She is pretty cold natured. Anybody have experienxce with these suits in 72 degree water?
Thanks for any input.

Ide go with a 5 or 7 mm in 72 deg water. Bares are good suits if you are just boat diving and dont give it high usage. But for shore diving and rocky entrances and exits, Ide get a Henderson suit thats more rugged in the knee areas and last 5 times longer.

I used my 3/2 with a 3mm hood to snorkel with the manatees there last Feb on a cold and overcast day and was pretty chilled after 30 mins.....it was a very "non-active" kind of dive with lots of floating motionless while watching the manatees. I had just returned from a Bahamas live-aboard with similar temps (around 72-74) and found the 3/2 to be a bit chilly after a few days. My 7/5 was too HOT for those temps but the 3/2 with a hooded vest was PERFECT.....so, I think for a recommendation I would go with the 5/4....should be warm enough, and if too hot you can always vent it with cool water.....think the 7mm would be overkill.
My two cents.
Have fun!!

Ide lean towards a 5 mm suit in a warm climate were you don't lose a lot of bodyheat before and after a dive.

I have the Bare 5/4 velocity and love it. I mostly dive springs and I wouldnt want to go with the 3/2, too cold for me. Bare makes outstanding wetsuits, and i also bought their gloves and boots. If your going with a hood, go with the henderson hyperstretch, the bare hoods are that great.

Back
Top Bottom