Drysuit newbie here - some questions for medium cold water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stepfen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everybody.
During winter, water temperatures around my area drop to a minimum of around ~60oF (~15oC). With a new wetsuit and a (thick-ish) layer of fat around me I barely managed to dive throughout the winter of 2019-20. Last winter thanks to lockdowns there was no diving for us. Now my wetsuit is old and I have reduced quite a bit of my body fat hence I am much less tolerant to cold than I used to be. No way I'll dive now with a wetsuit below 70ish degrees F (December to May or so).

I've been looking around for second hand drysuits for some time and I just fount out that my LDS has a second hand one on sale. It seems to be the right size (I will try it even test dive it before buying it but haven't yet) in good condition and good price (500 euros). It is a Waterproof D1.

Being my first drysuit I have some questions:

1. D1 comes with a "special" lining (discussed eg after 8:35 in this video: ). According to the LDS owner this lining is good for very cold water but it has quite a bit of volume, hence it is quite buoyant and needs a lot of extra lead to become neutral. The question is, will it be of any use to me at these temperatures (around 60-70oF) ??? I don't like being cold, but I also hate being too hot. Anyone have used it around this range of temperatures?? If this particular lining won't be good for me, what other under garment can I use and how much would that cost (I'd like to keep the budget as low as possible)??? Can I use normal topside alternatives eg comfy warm clothes, isothermic under garments etc???

2. What clothes am I supposed to wear under this "special" lining? Swimsuit only? another under garment? This thing is covered with a mesh that feels quite hard to the skin.

3. Right now water temperatures are around 77oF and ideally I would like to start practicing with it soon. What under garment can I use for such high temperatures? Can I use normal cloths like a pair of thin elastic pants and a top (t-shirt or long sleeve), or?? Anything more than that would feel like hell topside (temperatures near 95oF at the moment but expected to fall around 80ish soon).

4. D1 has the zipper on the back. Is it possible to zip/unzip it by myself (quite often I dive solo)??

5. The suit doesn't include the inflator hose, but I have a spare standard-length BPW inflator hose. Do they used the same quick connectors?? If so, would the standard length of a BPW inflator be long enough to be used as a drysuit inflator?? My drysuit size is XL if it matters at all.

I know that such questions can/should be answered during a formal drysuit course, but my budget is limited, hence I am trying to manage it without taking the course. Not to mention that there are very few people diving dry in my area, so I doubt such course is available anywhere near me at all.
I have very good relationship with the owner of the LDS and for sure he will help me, but he is very busy at the moment so I don't get much time with him to discuss such things.

Thanks a lot for any info. More questions might come as I think about it.

Cheers

Rule number one: NO cotton under a drysuit. It doesn’t wick sweat and you stay cold. Bad idea

Polypro or polyester fleece would work well.

Wool socks for your feet.

Get a front diagonal zip drysuit. It will make your life much easier.

Yes, the LP inflator hose for drysuits and BCs are interchangeable - usually. Check at the shop to make sure. Some are different.

If the weather is very hot, you get all your gear ready. Get suited up. Hop in water to get cool. Get geared up fast then back in water. I do this all the time.

The no cotton rule is smart in most instances, but those of us in temperate climates may not need to be so strict. I can get away with cotton T-shirts and leggings under my undergarment around here, because the water isn't that cold (bottom temps in the low 50s to low 60s, surface temps usually between 60-70F) and the air isn't that warm (winter daytime highs in the 60s-70s, getting into the 80s and occasionally higher in the summer, but tempered by being on the water, still cool in the mornings, and not too humid.) So I don't sweat much, and if I do, it doesn't make me too cold.

I don't know anything about the particular drysuit you're looking at, but if you can dive it before you buy it, that sounds good. I took the drysuit course and ended up buying the drysuit and undergarment I'd been renting for the class, because I knew it worked for me and they gave me a good deal. I'm still happy with that decision. You may want to first look into your options for getting the suit repaired locally, though, because it will eventually need it.

I would stick to a plain trilam suit with no gizmo linings added. This lining might present issues later when trying to find leaks. Drysuit is to keep you dry, not warm. I know that sounds strange but that's what it is for. Then you can tweak the warmth using an appropriate undergarment. Thinsulate garments work really well , it's not too bulky and warm, it also keeps you warm if you get the suit flooded. Depending on the time you want to spend underwater you might be able to get away with 200g.
Wool garments are bulky and will require more lead to sink.

The special liner is a marketing item by Waterproof brand. It is now what most of us use, only those who bought the Waterproof brand.

I have seen the mesh, lots of volume, lots of air, More lead to sink.

The more typical shell style suit lets you pick and choose the undergarments you need for the water you will dive. I have about 4 main choices for the single drysuit I use. Depends on the planned dive. From a light fleece if diving something pretty warm to some layers and serious insulation when cold. Even played a little with a heater.

It's a drysuit, no need for a bathing suit (unless planning on some warm water activities while not diving). I run my street cotton briefs. Poly base layer for wicking (I really need to try some wool). Insulation as needed. Some wools socks.
Glove liners inside the dry gloves (again a couple different version, thin wool tends to be my go to version).

For very warm water training, it is OK to start in street clothes that you don't mind getting a little wet.

Even though it is called a drysuit, it is a sweet suit. You sweet inside, moisture has noplace to go. When the water is cold you will get condensation inside the suit. It is not a leak, just your sweat condensing.

You will still need a good hood to keep the head warm. If you get a cold head, you will be cold no matter how warm the suit is. I also go with dry gloves as that rounds off the comfort.

As for the back zip, you don't want this for solo diving. It can be done, but not pretty. Strange leash, hook on a door knob type of tricks. You want a front zip. It is the only realistic way of doing a self donning drysuit.

Drysuits usually come with an inflator hose. The connect is the same as the generic inflator, but some of the specialty ones can be different. The length is often a little different as well. Routing might make it easier to run it under your arm to the suit. Something to consider. Should be talked about in a drysuit class.

especially if you're starting when the water is warm (above 70), you should be able to get away with just a "base" layer...something like long sleeve/long pants thin wool or synthetic wool. Try that out and see how it goes, then adjust from there. You won't be too hot with thin undergarments, and you won't freeze to death, it might just be a little uncomfortable the first dive if you seriously miscalculate.

1. Waterproof is a great brand and that price is also good. Trilaminate suits are more suitable for varying temperature conditions, you just wear more undergarments when cold.
2. You have to wear something underneath, it does not have to be a dedicated undergarment. You can use an existing fleece and training trousers. I recommend a 100 % merinos wool long sleeve shirt, you can buy such from Decathlon for a reasonable price. Wool is great because it does not stink as much as other stuff.
3. Same as above
4. I will not say it is impossible but I am yet to see someone who can self close a back zipper.
5. Your inflator hose will do but it might be little short, you have to test.

Thanks a lot for all the input. Greatly appreciated.

Just to clarify the "special" lining is removable. In fact it has been separated from the wetsuit soon after the suit was bought and hasn't been used much afterwards. According to the LDS owner the reason for this is that it is too bulky (needs extra lead) and too "hot" for the local conditions.

I forgot to mention that my wife has a sewing machine and she should be able to stitch a one-piece or two-pieces fleece undergarment for me if I am nice(r) to her :)

Few more question as I am trying to manage the finance of all these (to keep my wife happy). Any recommendations for hoods for temperatures around 60-75oF/ 15-20oC ??

And what about fins? For my 300ish (wetsuit) dives so far, I've been using my mares avanti quattro and I am very happy with them. They are practically neutral - very slightly buoyant. Any chance that I will be ok with them with the drysuit or I will definitely need heavy fins??

I have already ordered a neck seal for the suit (it is currently missing) and once I get it I should be able to try it some time next week in the water.

Thanks

Thanks a lot for all the input. Greatly appreciated.

Just to clarify the "special" lining is removable. In fact it has been separated from the wetsuit soon after the suit was bought and hasn't been used much afterwards. According to the LDS owner the reason for this is that it is too bulky (needs extra lead) and too "hot" for the local conditions.

I forgot to mention that my wife has a sewing machine and she should be able to stitch a one-piece or two-pieces fleece undergarment for me if I am nice(r) to her :)

Few more question as I am trying to manage the finance of all these (to keep my wife happy). Any recommendations for hoods for temperatures around 60-75oF/ 15-20oC ??

And what about fins? For my 300ish (wetsuit) dives so far, I've been using my mares avanti quattro and I am very happy with them. They are practically neutral - very slightly buoyant. Any chance that I will be ok with them with the drysuit or I will definitely need heavy fins??

I have already ordered a neck seal for the suit (it is currently missing) and once I get it I should be able to try it some time next week in the water.

Thanks
I’ve done my first 40 drysuit dives with mares quattros. They work. Getting a heavier fin would work better probably but you can certainly get started with the quattros and go from there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom