baracuda image

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blacknet

Contributor
Reaction score
This was taken in bimini with my nikonos V 20mm lens. I did some croping and increased the contrast to bring out the grain.

This is a Sphyraena barracuda (great barracuda)

I was attempting to bring them in closer but they was unwilling to break that distance.

barracuda.jpg

Ed

Hello,

What type of camera/lens/film did you use on these?

Ed

Ed,

Currently, all my photos are taken with an Ikelite Auto35 (usually with strobe).

I have experimented with ASA 100 slide film and ASA 100, 200, 400 and 800 print film (Kodak and Fuji).

The 2 'cuda pictures I just posted were probably 800 speed and 400 speed respectively. I will never use 800 speed again.

My slide film photos are the best, but by the time they are turned into prints and scanned, they just aren't the same.

is what I hate about any film over ASA 200. ASA 400 has it's place (Tri-X was my favorite for years) but ASA 800 is just pushing it too far for most types of photography.

Grain is not something to be ashamed of or to avoid but a highly constructive creative tool to use. Just look at sand sculptures, that's grain.

Ed

But I like clear crisp photographs with a minimum of grain. I have since given up B&W work (still have my darkroom equipment) but I find that Agfa ASA 100 & ASA 200 or Fujichrome ASA 200 give me the clearest detail. I don't do the artsy stuff anymore... my photography is more about documentation then it is about art.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom