Bar Harbor Maine diving????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adshepard:
Thanks. The Eastport area of Maine is New England's best dive location. Long way to go to dive and currents that can be a challenge (need to dive slack) but well worth a trip due to the variety and abundance of marine life.

DSDO

Alan
I'm thinking about making a trip to Eastport this summer. What can you tell me about any local dive operations, places to get a fill, dive guides, etc? Thanks.

RecklessAmateur:
I'm thinking about making a trip to Eastport this summer. What can you tell me about any local dive operations, places to get a fill, dive guides, etc? Thanks.

There is only one dive guide available for that area of Maine and that is a relatively new book entitled, "A Shore Diving Guide to New England", by Jerry Shine. Jerry is actually a friend of mine and his book is excellent. I first met Jerry while diving in Eastport.

Air fills are available in Lubec which is south of Eastport and on Campobello and Deer Islands across from Eastport. The Lubec fill station is a quarter mile from our summer home on South Lubec road on the way to West Quoddy Head State Park where you can also dive.

The things to know about diving this area is it is relatively colder water than the rest of New England and that there are extreme tides and strong currents. The strong currents call for diving at slack high or low tides. Water temperature will likely be in the 40's to maybe low 50's in the summer, expect 45f or so.

I'll be in the area diving for probably six weeks off and on during June, July and August.

Great diving exists off Deer Island across from Eastport and ferries run during the summer which can get you there and back.

DSDO

Alan

I am from Maine originally. I love reading these posts cause I can almost here the NE accent lol. I got certified quite some time after I left Maine so Im always interested in hearing where to go to dive there so when I visit I can drag my gear alone :)

Back
Top Bottom