Suggestion Bannings...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
The Chairman

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
OK gang... give me some input.

What should (if anything) warrant a temp ban (5 day suspension)?

What should (if anything) warrant a perm ban?

Historically, there has never been a formal mechanism to effect suspensions or bans. I believe this is wrong, because when you ask me for the rules on this, I have no answer. The lack of such a mechanism also lends an air of capriciousness to the situation. So this is what I am leaning towards… As such, please do not ask why we are not doing this, as we have NOT fully decided on this process. We are still listening, learning and debating.

Temp bans (5 days) can be called for by any moderator and are automatic. This can be in response to any violation of the TOS (mod’s discretion), harassment of others, flaming others, or trolling. The moderator must send a notice (even though an administrator has to flip the switch) to the affected user’s e-mail and detail why the suspension was initiated.

Perm Bans are considered when the user exceeds 2 suspensions in less than 6 months, openly challenges authority (not just asking a question), threatens anyone in any way, or has blatantly violated the TOS. A perm ban requires 8 moderator’s approvals. A temp ban should be called for first and then perm banning should be discussed for at least 5 days. The mod who initiated the temp ban is in charge of the process. They will also set the time for a vote (at least 5 days) and send the appropriate message if so needed.

That sounds good and fair to me Pete.

I have a question: If the five or six people (seajay, ravenc, etc) that were just banned permanently were under this system you just described, would they have been given a suspension or banned perm???

LUBOLD8431:
That sounds good and fair to me Pete.

I have a question: If the five or six people (seajay, ravenc, etc) that were just banned permanently were under this system you just described, would they have been given a suspension or banned perm???

We don't know what posts got lifted or what happened! Check Carebear's post in the other thread to reflect my personal attitude on what NetDoc should tell us.

Again, let's allow the moderators to deal with these people and keep the dealings between themselves and the concerned parties.

I do appreciate Pete trying to come up with a more formal system and letting us know what it is though. With it, we can be assured that NOBODY will be banned at the whim of one or two moderators. I don't think that it happened here, either.

Lubold8431:
Now really... do you think for a moment that I would second guess my moderators in public? I would sooner divulge the reasons for the individuals being banned to the public forum and that simply is not happening.

Just a few points for your thoughts…

1) Moderators are volunteer users, they all started out as regular members and for the most part, they remain active in discussions as a party of the community. We don’t want moderators feeling like they are alienated from the board, they are indeed doing us all a favor in helping to keep things within the defined rules.

2) Not every post can be checked or verified, we rely on members reporting posts to help find abuse. We also shape a lot of our standards around what is submitted (when multiple users complaint about the content of a post, it says something).

3) Since ScubaBoard has opened there has never been a public forum devoted to hearing your comments like this. So far this post has brought up some great ideas but it also reveals the diversity of opinion between our users. I encourage you all to remember that other members come with other ideas, which may conflict with yours, but that does not make them wrong. This forum is here to get your feedback and ideas so we can learn and I hope you would all do the same.

Finally, not really a point but more of a request, this thread is truly meant to be an idea exchange. If you want to talk about other board issues or the recent changes or so forth there are other threads on this subjects so please use them (if there isn’t one that meets your needs, open a new one). By keeping things ontopic it will be far easier for us to find your ideas and separate them from one issue to the next.

Thank you!

noproblem:
Here are my observations:
There seems to be allot of shameless self promotiom going on in some of the forms. I realize that some LDS have a loyal following-- but some of these people seem to know more about the LDS training calender and prices than the shops. I manage the corperate advertising for a large marine sector company. If I could generate the same publicity for free I would be a happy person. Is there a way that the board could monitor and profit from some of this blatent self promotion. It seems as if some of the moderators are in on the game. I really enjoy the forms but the spam and baiting is getting to be a bit much. I fear loosing some good company over the dreaded threat of censorship. Although this is a huge board-- it seems the OFWF have been the most active on the complaints. You know the old saying-- where there's smoke your bound to find fire.

When SB first opened it wasn't hard to simply remove every ad posted to the board. With 20,000 users and hundreds upon hundreds of posts a day it's not easy to find the bad in the middle of the good. We've worked hard to form new guidelines for all types of advertising, but we need you, the users, to report posts that aren't suppose to be there. If you see something that looks like an ad, click the report link (!) on any post and we'll take a look!

Tech Admin:
When SB first opened it wasn't hard to simply remove every ad posted to the board. With 20,000 users and hundreds upon hundreds of posts a day it's not easy to find the bad in the middle of the good. We've worked hard to form new guidelines for all types of advertising, but we need you, the users, to report posts that aren't suppose to be there. If you see something that looks like an ad, click the report link (!) on any post and we'll take a look!

What about people who regularly post commerecial links in the signature?

Tech Admin:
Just a few points for your thoughts…

(When multiple users complaint about the content of a post, it says something).

So if a few koolaid drinkers regularly report the posts of a non koolaid drinker they get banned?

Perhaps you should make sure that when a multiple users complain they aren't all part of the same voting block.

I have to say. I'm an opinionated kind of person. But after being banded for 5 days I hesitate to voice that opinion anymore. I was banned for defending my self to a Moderator In a private message. Not even in a public forum.
So given that, I simply won't say what I think should happen as far as banning goes for fear of being silenced again.
I will say this If I owned a store and banned my customers for coming into the store I wouldn't be in buisness very long.
Just my opinion.
Fred

CHRPAI, go back and read what TA said... if we get multiple posts that "says something". We have posts reported for many different reasons... mis-spelling, grammar, they disagree, they hate the person, they hate the board... you name it, and I have seen someone complain along those lines.

Obviously, this is why we have a DIVERSE cadre of moderators. That's why we have a private room to discuss things. So no, a group of people banding together to report a post that does not violate the TOS will not result in banning anyone. Actually, it merely annoys us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom