Banned from diving for a locked out backup computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjchandler:
How does that help in the great lakes?

It gives me an incentive to go to warm sunny places.

Terry

Ok, you know better, but you blow through an accidental deco stop. Now, when you really need information, your dive computer goes into gauge mode. What a crock. You don't need a dive computer for 20 minutes at 40 feet, you need it when the stuff hits the fan.

Your dive computer instead says,"Nope, you broke a my rule, and now I'm not going to help you at all."

Great plan!

Just say "NO" to lock-out computers.

Stan

serambin:
Ok, you know better, but you blow through an accidental deco stop. Now, when you really need information, your dive computer goes into gauge mode. What a crock. You don't need a dive computer for 20 minutes at 40 feet, you need it when the stuff hits the fan.

Your dive computer instead says,"Nope, you broke a my rule, and now I'm not going to help you at all."

Great plan!

Just say "NO" to lock-out computers.

Stan
I suggest that you read the manual and find out what it REALLY does. Are you referring to any specific computer, or just making unsupported generalized statements of opinion rather than fact?

The various computers that I have looked at continue to provide deco guidance as long as they can practically do so. Once you have ignored a deco obligation and stayed on the surface greater than 10 minutes, it's not very reasonable to expect a dive computer to calculate a deco obligation. Most computers will warn when you ascend past a required deco stop, and will continue normally if you descend below the ceiling within a reasonable time. The Oceanic Data Plus, for example, will continue to make an ad hoc guess of 1.5 minutes additional deco time for every 1 minute above the ceiling. If you descend within 5 minutes and do the extra deco, the computer will continue to function normally, will NOT lockup, and will function normally for later dives. Even if you stay above the deco ceiling for up to 10 minutes, it will still keep giving deco stop info for the remainder of that dive, but after you have surfaced it will go to gauge mode for 24 hours.

If you have ascended above a required deco stop for greater than 5 or 10 minutes, then you have a major screwup going on, and what the dive computer says isn't all that relevant.

serambin:

Great plan!

Stan
The Suunto Does not lock you out unless you ignore what it is telling you and get out of the water.
The reason it then locks up is to keep you from diving because it thinks you are bent.

Its pretty hard to bend a Suunto in single gas recreational diving - unless you dont have a clue then it's easy...

Web Monkey:
OK, I'll bite.

How do you exceed the no-decompression limits of the various models...
For recreational dives, I almost never exceed the NDL's of even the most "conservative" of the various models or tables.
Web Monkey:
...without going into deco?
Every dive is a deco dive.

When I was first learning to stop relying on my computer to dictate my dives, I put the Vyper in guage mode and kept a cheap used Suunto Favor in my DS pocket to "check" myself. My dives were consistantly longer and the Favor didn't show any deco obligation.... well.... except for the time I lost it in Smitty's cove and found it in 36 fsw ~ 48 hours later. It already showed a "deco" obligation of something like 30 minutes. I took it on a 100' + dive for a run time of over an hour and it went into error mode (aka "locked up") for 24 hours :D

A hint on how I run my dives ~ do a search for Pug's threads on shaping the curve :wink:

Snowbear:
For recreational dives, I almost never exceed the NDL's of even the most "conservative" of the various models or tables.
Every dive is a deco dive.

When I was first learning to stop relying on my computer to dictate my dives, I put the Vyper in guage mode and kept a cheap used Suunto Favor in my DS pocket to "check" myself. My dives were consistantly longer and the Favor didn't show any deco obligation.... well.... except for the time I lost it in Smitty's cove and found it in 36 fsw ~ 48 hours later. It already showed a "deco" obligation of something like 30 minutes. I took it on a 100' + dive for a run time of over an hour and it went into error mode (aka "locked up") for 24 hours :D

A hint on how I run my dives ~ do a search for Pug's threads on shaping the curve :wink:

Of course you can do this with a computer as well. You don't have to ride a computer :14:

Charlie99:
Aren't vague, non-specific claims great. :wink:

Diving styles aren't the only things that can be emulated. It's a Pug thing :D

Charlie99:
I suggest that you read the manual and find out what it REALLY does. Are you referring to any specific computer, or just making unsupported generalized statements of opinion rather than fact?

The various computers that I have looked at continue to provide deco guidance as long as they can practically do so. Once you have ignored a deco obligation and stayed on the surface greater than 10 minutes, it's not very reasonable to expect a dive computer to calculate a deco obligation. Most computers will warn when you ascend past a required deco stop, and will continue normally if you descend below the ceiling within a reasonable time. The Oceanic Data Plus, for example, will continue to make an ad hoc guess of 1.5 minutes additional deco time for every 1 minute above the ceiling. If you descend within 5 minutes and do the extra deco, the computer will continue to function normally, will NOT lockup, and will function normally for later dives. Even if you stay above the deco ceiling for up to 10 minutes, it will still keep giving deco stop info for the remainder of that dive, but after you have surfaced it will go to gauge mode for 24 hours.

If you have ascended above a required deco stop for greater than 5 or 10 minutes, then you have a major screwup going on, and what the dive computer says isn't all that relevant.

Well, here's a quote form ScubaLabs - "VIOLATION LOCKOUT. All computers have a lockout mode for decompression violations. Some computers lock out completely, providing no information."

If there's enough room for storing copious amounts of data for replay on your computer, an algorithm for deco, at least under most conditions is easy. Both the Sherwood Wisdom and the Genesis React-pro give deco information as I'm sure many others do including many of the Mares units.

Charlie - cut back on the coffee . . .

Stan

Ok I have read this and am getting bored. I am a FAT diver. I am 6'2" and 285lbs. I get well over a hr on a 80. I use a LUX and before that a favor(just bought a Cobra..Happy me). I take a full second setup on the boat with me. One is on me the other is in my bag in case I Break or Lose my primary setup. I have never had any problems with them. As a new diver how long are you able to stay down on your tank? How many dives a day are you trying to do? Are you trying to double your 15 dives in one day? 15 dives, OW or AOW? Well if you dive the way you should you will never see 61ft so how would you lock yourself out? Groups will not take you too deep for too long.
Just my thoughts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom