Bangka Island water temperatures?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mountainsean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Headed to Bangka in a week and hoping for some current info on water temps. I've heard 27-30C most of the time, but that it can drop to 25-26C in June-August. If it's the former I'll probably bring the 3/2mm, if it's the latter, the 5/4mm (I dive cold).

Thanks,
Sean

Personally I have always used a 3mm but on night dives or longer dives will often put a lavacore vest under my 3mm..have never felt the need for more and I do feel the cold too.

Two years ago I used a 5mm in Lembeh and was plenty warm, last year I used a 3mm + Lava Core Hooded vest, this year will be a 3mm Fourth Element Proteus if it arrives on time + a hood.

Temperature is all relative

Greetings from Bangka mountainsean,

Hope this reaches you before departure. You are correct and temperatures can drop during June-August, however, yesterday the average water temperature was 28C or 82F around Bangka. Things could change but I was diving in an old 3/2 and was fine. A few times there was a small drop in temperature during a tidal exchange, as currents bring in nutrient rich waters from the deep, but this past week these were small drops in temperature and for short periods of time.

If you are traveling to Manado on Garuda, make sure you tell them you have dive equipment, they allow excess baggage for this. Safe travels. Enjoy Bangka, it's a magical place!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom