bands and manifolds for mini doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Bowers, Disregard my remark that 5.25" AL40 bands would be hard to find. I looked again at the 5.5" bands, and they list as working for 5.25" AL40's. Which makes sense as the center plates would just be pulled 3/4" closer (circumference = 3.14 * diameter), presuming they built them for that to work. If yours really are 4"+ that is a different story.

AL40 twins look appealing for being less negative, but my thinnest NorCal suit should still give me reasonable ditchable weight with LP50s. Even though LP50 doubles look 7 lb. negative empty ((2 x 1.24) tanks - 4.8 manifold - 5 bands) without regs. People do add crush resistant foam or air tubes to make cameras less negative, I could add a few pounds of lift to the doubles and matching lead to me if needed. It would be awkward to help teach with very little ditchable weight on my recreational doubles, when we emphasize having ditchable for surface safety.

thank you for looking into that. it will save me some work trying to make my own.
i will eventually have a variety of options but for now i already own a couple 40s so i figured id give it a try. with a 3 mm full with hood and gloves i am heavy using a steel 72 and my aluminum backplate, so even a double 40 should be very little required ditchable weight if any (im a dense guy lol)

Bowers,

I have the LP50’s so cannot give you much insight to the AL40’s. But with my drysuit, base layer, and mid layer vest. My mini doubles I need 4lbs. Wets suits no lead needed. This is warm or cold fresh water.... you will love the mini doubles as a whole tho. By far my fav rig to dive!

I've posted before about practicality of mini doubles, and have also seen double lp50s used a few times now. My question is; where to find the bands and manifolds for these smaller diameter tanks? I have looked on a quick google search and seem to only find larger diameter bands and manifolds that span around 8"
I currently own 2 AL40's with a diameter just over 4".

Sidemount those 50's LOL :wink:

so what wing should i use? would a singles wing work because they are smaller or would i still need something wider for doubles?

You will still need a doubles wing. For the 50’s. I use the Mares XR doubles donut wing with 44lbs lift. Smaller works too. I just have Mares XR gear and that’s the smaller doubles wing.

A single wing will sit right under the tanks and not be able to inflate. It will go to the path of least resistance and squeeze you instead. The mini doubles still places the tanks 8in on center apart. So a single will not work.

Dive Rite Rec EXP/XT looked like a good option. Seeming to cover LP50 or LP85 doubles. I was looking at this same question and started a thread asking it a month ago. What wing for double 7L/LP50s? Or also 12L S72 LP85(?)

I've no first hand doubles experience. I went to baby LP50 sidemount instead. I'll post on that soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom