Bands and Manifold for steel 72's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there any problem using 7.25" bands for steel 72s? I just got a set from piranha. They will switch them for 7.0", the guys at piranha seem really good with service. They say they use the same size bands all the time on 6.9 and 7.25" tanks, the flanges are just closer together when you tighten them up on the smaller tanks. I can see that, theoretically, this means more band contact and a more secure fit. But, unless I'm mistaken, it also means that the tanks are a little further apart (probably negligible) and the bolt is going to stick out more behind the tank. Won't this affect attaching the backplate? Specifically I'm thinking if the bolt head is closer to the center of the tanks (thinking front to back, not side to side) then it could stick out further than the channel on the BP. Any thoughts?

Everything you said above is true. But IMHO get the right bands for the right cylinders. I can see 6.9 using on 7.0 and visa-versa but not 7.25.

Of course when putting together my wife's doubles I had a set of 6.9" but got 7.0" for hers. They were for the wife after all.

We have a set of double PST 72s with Highland Mills 6.9" bands and a plain Sea-Elite 200-bar manifold. Works great.

If you want a Sea-Elite manifold, wait until Divers Supply has a sale. Right now they're $190, with some of their sales I've seen them in the $135-$150 range.

Back
Top Bottom