Trip Report BANDA SEA DIVE SITES - WHAT TO EXPECT TO SEE - 4K HDR Video Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was fab! Please tell me it doesn't finish at 4 minutes and the rest is blank because I did something wrong! So much more of a damp, cold day in the UK I could have missed!

That was fab! Please tell me it doesn't finish at 4 minutes and the rest is blank because I did something wrong! So much more of a damp, cold day in the UK I could have missed!
Unfortunately it does finish at 4'.
Here's for your damp cold week in the UK : https://www.youtube.com/@naucratesuw
I suggest you take a look at his Triton bay video, as enjoyable as the previous one.

Thanks Luko - great way to spend an hour or so after walking the dogs in 1c and rain:daydream:

It was the 'Hammerhead' time for Banda Sea, but we did not see any. You have to be extremely luck to see them. If you are thinking of going there to see hammerheads, I would not waste time and money.
Apparently others who went there last October, experienced the same, i.e., no hammers seen. That’s a disturbing sign.

I heard from my cousin who went diving around Banda in October that she didn't see any Hammerhead either. I guess they were wiped out by shark finers during Covid, like those Bumphead Parrotfish in Tulmben?
Shark finners wiped out Bumphead Parrotfish? Let me guess... Bumphead fin soup?

Shark finners wiped out Bumphead Parrotfish? Let me guess... Bumphead fin soup?
Is that what you like to eat?

My Balinese guide (for 15 years) told me when we were in Tulamben looking for Bumphead Parrotfish, that during Covid the local were desperate from having no income from tourism and fished them out.

Now tourism has returned to Bali, hopefully the Bumphead Parrotfish population would recover.

We only saw a few hammers here and there when we went through last Sept./Oct. Water temps were up so its possible that may have had an affect. I know someone who went through a couple weeks before me and they saw a pretty big school of them so I think they were there. I just think we were really lucky and blessed to have such an amazing run in 2019. I even said after the 2019 trip that it was going to ruin us forever.

Those videos are all so wonderful and bring back fantastic memories.

Back in 2007/8 my very first time ever experiencing Scuba was off of Banda Aceh on what they then called White Islands and Ruby Island.
That was when I first "tasted blood" and wanted to do my OW/AOW then and there. Sadly my then partner was less than thrilled, and Scubadiving remained a dream for another almost decade, before I finally learned in Australia.

I've always wanted to return to the Banda Sea, but shortly after we left the unrests out of Aceh started and I have no idea how it is now.
How does one travel safely into the area nowadays? Is LOB the only option, or are there still some "Stay on Land / Resort options" these days?

I still like the Ring of Fire video made by Nu Parnupong. It’s definitely unlike Kata Beach. 😜

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom