Trip Report BANDA SEA DIVE SITES - WHAT TO EXPECT TO SEE - 4K HDR Video Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This 4K HDR video is about our experience of diving in the Banda Sea during a 10-day scuba diving trip through the Banda Sea, Seram Sea and the Misool in October 2022. The video will give you an idea what to expect to see diving in the Banda Sea.

Underwater Video Equipment used:
Camera: Sony camcorder PXW Z90
Housing: Gates AX700 / Z90 with Gates GP34A Wide Angle Port and internal UR Pro Red Filter
Video Lights: Keldan Video 8X 11000 Lumen, CRI 92 (5400K) with Keldan Ambient Filter M1 (10-20m) for 4X/8X
Camera Settings: 4K, 30 FPS Picture Profile: PP10 (HLG) Gamma: HLG2 Color Mode: BT2020
Drone: DJI Mavic 3 (HLG Picture Profile)

Happy New Year!

That was outstanding. Can you tell us how you did the color correction? Also, what video gear do you use? I hope one day to have footage as good as this.

Stunnnnnnning as usual.
The corals look really healthy.
In a sentence or two (if possible) how would you compare Banda with Misool?

Also looks like you did not get lucky with any hammers.....did you go looking? Or was it not hammer time?

Stunnnnnnning as usual.
The corals look really healthy.
In a sentence or two (if possible) how would you compare Banda with Misool?

Also looks like you did not get lucky with any hammers.....did you go looking? Or was it not hammer time?
Thank you for your kind comments, AlMitch. Yes, the corals were healthy. On this trip, we spent about 2/3 of time diving Banda Sea, and 1/3 of time diving in Misool. To be honest, diving the Banda Sea looks more interesting in my video than it is. It was actually quite boring. It was the 'Hammerhead' time for Banda Sea, but we did not see any. You have to be extremely luck to see them. If you are thinking of going there to see hammerheads, I would not waste time and money.

Regarding Misool, this was my second time diving in Misool (first time we stayed at Misool Eco Resort for 10 days). Based on my experience, Misool is full of nice corals, but not much fish. I have no intention of coming back to Misool. I prefer Dampier Strait, which, in addition to amazing corals, has much more fish. If you are thinking of going to Raja Ampat and you are between Misool and Dampier Strait, let me know and I will give you a more detailed comparison.

That was outstanding. Can you tell us how you did the color correction? Also, what video gear do you use? I hope one day to have footage as good as this.
Many thanks for your nice comments, SaltyWombat. For color correction I use Final Cut Pro. The following is the list of my UW video equipment:
Camera: Sony camcorder PXW Z90
Housing: Gates AX700 / Z90 with Gates GP34A Wide Angle Port and internal UR Pro Red Filter
Video Lights: Keldan Video 8X 11000 Lumen, CRI 92 (5400K) with Keldan Ambient Filter M1 (10-20m) for 4X/8X
Camera Settings: 4K, 30 FPS
Picture Profile: PP10 (HLG) Gamma: HLG2 Color Mode: BT2020
Drone: DJI Mavic 3 (HLG Picture Profile)
Above water camera: iPhone 13 Max Pro (HDR)

Thank you for your kind comments, AlMitch. Yes, the corals were healthy. On this trip, we spent about 2/3 of time diving Banda Sea, and 1/3 of time diving in Misool. To be honest, diving the Banda Sea looks more interesting in my video than it is. It was actually quite boring. It was the 'Hammerhead' time for Banda Sea, but we did not see any. You have to be extremely luck to see them. If you are thinking of going there to see hammerheads, I would not waste time and money.

Regarding Misool, this was my second time diving in Misool (first time we stayed at Misool Eco Resort for 10 days). Based on my experience, Misool is full of nice corals, but not much fish. I have no intention of coming back to Misool. I prefer Dampier Strait, which, in addition to amazing corals, has much more fish. If you are thinking of going to Raja Ampat and you are between Misool and Dampier Strait, let me know and I will give you a more detailed comparison.
You seem to have had a very unlucky trip...no Mantas at Magic Mountain and no Hammers!! Remind me not to go diving with you ...ha ha ha

I've been on a 10day LOB around Raja, spent 50% South and 50% north. I really loved the South, the soft corals were much brighter and more colourful...but yes the N was more fishy... I would still do both N & S if I had the choice.

A friend did the same crossing as you a few years back and he said pretty much what you said...Banda was ok but not as good as Raja...and the crossings were long and could get quite wavey...

Your experience varies widely from the Banda Sea trip I did in November 7 years ago, I enjoyed the trip immensely. It's unfortunate that you thought it was a waste of time and money. Nobody likes to travel all that way and spend all those $$ to be dissatisfied.

On my trip we started with 2 dives in Ambon since the departure was in the afternoon and I was there early and those 2 dives held out some great macro subjects. Of course I'm a fiend for macro, I showed up 2 days early to do some diving in Ambon specifically.
We did have good luck with the Hammerheads, and if we got skunked that would have been a bummer and would weigh my thoughts on the trip down.

I did enjoy seeing lots of whale activity while cruising from island to island, and we saw a super-pod of dolphins with tons of jumping and twists which was really cool. And if the boat times its arrival to Manuk in the early morning watching the many seabid species heading out to sea in the morning is pretty spectacular, there is to many to even begin counting.
Even though I'm terrified of snakes I really enjoyed seeing them in high numbers at Manuk. I also saw barrel sponges spawning there which looks like a volcano spewing soap lava or mist depending on the type. And I was also treated to a Hammer giving itself a bit of sand bath untill it saw us and swam off.

We also ended the trip in the Misool area and again my experience was much different than yours. My first dive at Boo Windows was incredible, I loved seeing the topography and the sea fans of every color, transitioning to the kaleidoscope of soft corals, and hard corals with the changes of depth, when I was there the fish life was epic, with big schools of snapper sized fish of various species and the small fish had high populations also. A litteral fish soup. Upon surfacing the divers in my group remarked "amazing, ready to die now that I've seen this." We had great manta action at Magic Mountain with both reef and huge oceanics. Our other dives in the area were also really good, it was some of the most interesting and increadible dives I've done.

To follow up the 11 day Banda Sea trip I did another 10 day LOB thru thu the South-Central-North of Raja Ampat, this allowed me not only to repeat dive sites in Misool but see the rest of the area. The South was definitely my favorite, when I was there it had better visibility than Cental and North. There were lots of medium size fish schools in Central but certainly not as many little fish. I did notice a big difference in the amounts of soft corals comparing South to the other parts of R4.

My trip was incredible one of the best I've been blessed to have done, I will remember it for the rest of my life. Would I go thru the Banda Sea again? Probably not, been there done that, and I've had other incredible schooling hammerhead experiences elsewhere. ( one caveat, I hear there are Banda Sea trips that snorkel with the big whales, and that sounds tempting, @Dan care to enlighten us with a report?) Peoples experiences with the hammers in the Banda Sea vary widely, some luck out and are happy others don't and are disappointed, those trips ain't cheap and it takes alot of travel to get there, no one likes a sub-par trip.

I would certainly do another LOB thru Raja Ampat for sure, and I would definatly want to dive the Misool area for sure.

Your experience varies widely from the Banda Sea trip I did in November 7 years ago, I enjoyed the trip immensely. It's unfortunate that you thought it was a waste of time and money. Nobody likes to travel all that way and spend all those $$ to be dissatisfied.

On my trip we started with 2 dives in Ambon since the departure was in the afternoon and I was there early and those 2 dives held out some great macro subjects. Of course I'm a fiend for macro, I showed up 2 days early to do some diving in Ambon specifically.
We did have good luck with the Hammerheads, and if we got skunked that would have been a bummer and would weigh my thoughts on the trip down.

I did enjoy seeing lots of whale activity while cruising from island to island, and we saw a super-pod of dolphins with tons of jumping and twists which was really cool. And if the boat times its arrival to Manuk in the early morning watching the many seabid species heading out to sea in the morning is pretty spectacular, there is to many to even begin counting.
Even though I'm terrified of snakes I really enjoyed seeing them in high numbers at Manuk. I also saw barrel sponges spawning there which looks like a volcano spewing soap lava or mist depending on the type. And I was also treated to a Hammer giving itself a bit of sand bath untill it saw us and swam off.

We also ended the trip in the Misool area and again my experience was much different than yours. My first dive at Boo Windows was incredible, I loved seeing the topography and the sea fans of every color, transitioning to the kaleidoscope of soft corals, and hard corals with the changes of depth, when I was there the fish life was epic, with big schools of snapper sized fish of various species and the small fish had high populations also. A litteral fish soup. Upon surfacing the divers in my group remarked "amazing, ready to die now that I've seen this." We had great manta action at Magic Mountain with both reef and huge oceanics. Our other dives in the area were also really good, it was some of the most interesting and increadible dives I've done.

To follow up the 11 day Banda Sea trip I did another 10 day LOB thru thu the South-Central-North of Raja Ampat, this allowed me not only to repeat dive sites in Misool but see the rest of the area. The South was definitely my favorite, when I was there it had better visibility than Cental and North. There were lots of medium size fish schools in Central but certainly not as many little fish. I did notice a big difference in the amounts of soft corals comparing South to the other parts of R4.

My trip was incredible one of the best I've been blessed to have done, I will remember it for the rest of my life. Would I go thru the Banda Sea again? Probably not, been there done that, and I've had other incredible schooling hammerhead experiences elsewhere. ( one caveat, I hear there are Banda Sea trips that snorkel with the big whales, and that sounds tempting, @Dan care to enlighten us with a report?) Peoples experiences with the hammers in the Banda Sea vary widely, some luck out and are happy others don't and are disappointed, those trips ain't cheap and it takes alot of travel to get there, no one likes a sub-par trip.

I would certainly do another LOB thru Raja Ampat for sure, and I would definatly want to dive the Misool area for sure.

Yes, my Banda Sea trip report is coming soon. Just posted Free Diving with Banda Sea Whales

Our trip to Banda Sea was focus on free diving with whales, muck diving in Ambon and Banda Neira. So we didn't go to sites like Manuk to see Hammerheads. I heard from my cousin who went diving around Banda in October that she didn't see any Hammerhead either. I guess they were wiped out by shark finers during Covid, like those Bumphead Parrotfish in Tulmben?

Speaking of seabirds in Manuk, those seabird populations are rapidly declining also by rat infestation on the island, eatging the bird eggs, according to Edi Frommenwiler, the owner of Pindito, who went with us id that Banda Sea diving trip.

If you want to see Hammerheads, just go to Eastern Pacific (Socorro, Cocos, Malpelo or Galapagos.

I just got back from a RA Liveaboard on Jan 3 (Blue Manta - great boat, btw). Our experience in the South wasn’t great - very poor visibility, not a ton of fish and skunked at Magic Mountain with no Mantas (one group had a quick flyby).

The Central sites were much better with far more life, but visibility was still much lower than typical (but way better than Misool) according to the crew and repeat Raja divers on board.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom