Baltimore Aquarium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pir8

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Well yesterday I led a group of my students down to the Baltimore Aquarium for some diving. We got to dive their 2 main tanks. Our first dive was in their Coral Reef Tank. Followed by a trip into the Wings Tank with the Rays, Tarpon, Sharks and Turtle. The Reef tank featured your standard stock of Carribean fish such as Groupers, Angles, Parrots and all. A great time was had by all.

Pretty cool. I haven't been down there since it opened. I didn't dive then. I guess you have to use their gear, huh ? I hear it's changed alot. I dove the tank at Epcot a few years ago on my birthday. It was pretty cool, but they said we'd be getting a 'behind the scenes' tour, also. It wasn't much of a tour, but entering the tank from the top was neat. Got a cool t-shirt, too.

Yeah it was cool. No tshirt though I could've gotten an Aquarium tshirt if I signed up for another visa card. And yep you are in their gear except for Mask, fins and wet suit, no snorkel.

Disney only let you take your own mask. Everything else was theirs, but it was new, good gear. And you had to take off shiny jewelry.

Disney only let you take your own mask. Everything else was theirs, but it was new, good gear. And you had to take off shiny jewelry.

Except your wedding band.. They had an "incident" their once when a husband took his off and his wife saw it from the other side of the glass, or so I was told by their DM.

pir8,
I've was also able to dive the aquarium recently and it was a nice break from the winter blahs.
Haven't had that much fun in a while. I really fell in love with Calypso and Zoey. Did you get
to scratch Calypso's shell? The staff told us that "Oscar" the green moray was a "little gregarious" and boy were they right. He took a liking to my dive buddy and was all over her like
a puppy dog. They said he's been known to wrap around people's heads like a turbin. I was laughing so much that my mask kept flooding. I have to say that the staff at the Baltimore Aquarium are top notch and the experience exceeded every expectation.

pir8,
I've was also able to dive the aquarium recently and it was a nice break from the winter blahs.
Haven't had that much fun in a while. I really fell in love with Calypso and Zoey. Did you get
to scratch Calypso's shell? The staff told us that "Oscar" the green moray was a "little gregarious" and boy were they right. He took a liking to my dive buddy and was all over her like
a puppy dog. They said he's been known to wrap around people's heads like a turbin. I was laughing so much that my mask kept flooding. I have to say that the staff at the Baltimore Aquarium are top notch and the experience exceeded every expectation.

Yes the wings tank was quite interactive with everyone getting their shell scratches and the rays and all, of course zoe was exteemly friendly also swimming straight for ya. Oscar also came out and played although noone got turbaned this time.
If I get interest I will put together an online group for later this summer or fall. I already have 1 from another board that is interested.

The aquarium was a lot of fun. I was one of the lucky ones who got to see Oscar although he apparently didn't feel quite so lucky since he didn't hang out and play turban with me. Oh well. The rays were very cool and I guess no one told them 'no touching' since they were quite happy to swim right up my arm and over my head.

Thank you Bob for arranging another cool experience!!

What I found interesting is that the animals swim right up to your face.
It made me think that these animals may have been looking for someone
in particular. The rays and the turtle did this, swam up and looked right
into my face. Did you guys notice this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom