Balmorhea 9/13/08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KC5UX

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'll be working in Fort Davis Wednesday, Thursday and Friday Sept 10-12 and would like to dive Balmorhea on Saturday the 13th.

A few questions:

1. If i just show up Saturday morning, how likely is it that I 'll be able to hook up with a buddy?

2. Are tank rentals available on site, or should I bring one from home? I know fills can be had, but tanks?

3. About what time do the festivities start? I know that divers like to start early, so would 8:00 be appropriate?

4. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim Fish
Albuquerque, NM

Jim,
Wow! You are in somewhat of a tough spot. I think.
The active Swamp Divers are over in the eastern part of the state of Texas; and we just don't make it out to Balmorhea. It's too far. Balmorhea doesn't get a lot of frequent visitors from east Texas. I know there are some divers out in west Texas that dive Balmorhea; but whoever they are, they are not real active on SB. I would think you would have better luck making this post in the New Mexico forum.

Tanks ?? Don't know. There has been an air fill facility across the street from the park; but I don't know what that shop provides (or doesn't). Originally, the owner wanted to be an air fill station only. I was out there about two years ago and the owner had expanded into some type of dive shop; but I don't recall what the products / services are. Besides, my info is now two years dated. I don't know what's going on out there now.

Update: I just found this on the web (found today -- reprinted from a June 2008 article):

Dive Outfitters, Charters and Education Centers: Funky Li'l Dive Shop rents complete sets of gear for $50, rents tanks for $15 and charges $10 for tank fills. For more details, log on to toyahvale.com, or call (432) 375-2572. For more information about Balmorhea State Park, visit the Texas Parks and Wildlife web site, tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/balmorhea.

Update: Update:

Sorry. Brain is on holiday today. I believe that TPWD will require two things before you dive at Balmorhea 1) C-card, and 2) a dive buddy. TPWD believes in the buddy rule. Never mind that Balmorhea is near zero risk of anything going wrong.

From TPWD: Balmorhea State Park
Due to heavy and consistent rains, the swimming pool is currently closed for safety concerns regarding low visibility. Contact the park for more information.
Run off from Lowell I suppose...?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom