ball on the end of a reel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems to me, in my rather simple way, that whether you have 400 feet of line on the reel or 2000 feet of line on the reel, the only time the ball is in play (as it were) is at the time you place your primary tie, whether that's to rock or steel or another line. After that, the ball is not an issue as you run the line, no?

You rarely reel in exploration line. So, the ball serves no purpose. As a result, you don't take it.

Which I think was my point back a ways, when I said the only reel I could envision using a ball on was my routine primary reel . . .

edit: Just to clear up confusion, I mean something like this...
gearnew.jpg

I'd be more worried about losing a reel. Sorry ... just couldn't resist ;-)

That picture was taken many, many months ago...before I learned about the boltsnap issue. I assure you, I no longer clip it that way. :wink: (Jason even made a nice video explaining!)

Which I think was my point back a ways, when I said the only reel I could envision using a ball on was my routine primary reel . . .

You have an exploration reel Lynne? :wink:

Heaven's, no! But if I had one, I don't imagine I'd have a ball on it, because I'd be planning to take it in, tie it in, run it and leave the line. No reeling up, so no need for a ball.

So it would appear that there are certain situations where a ball might be needed. Cold water being one of them.

Personally, I don't need a ball on my reel, but (for the most part) I only dive Florida caves.

Part of being "thinking divers" is using the best tool for the job, even if that means a slight regional difference.

So it would appear that there are certain situations where a ball might be needed. Cold water being one of them.

Personally, I don't need a ball on my reel, but (for the most part) I only dive Florida caves.

Part of being "thinking divers" is using the best tool for the job, even if that means a slight regional difference.

You're right. :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom