ball on the end of a reel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparticleBrane

Contributor
Reaction score
I have heard rumors that having a hair ball or piece of dice or whatever on the end of a reel is not DIR. Just wondering if anyone here has the 'official' word. I haven't taken a GUE cave course so perhaps this is something explained in there?

I can't see any cons, but the main 'pro' I see is that you can't reel the end of the line past the ball -- makes for easy retrieval.

edit: Just to clear up confusion, I mean something like this...
gearnew.jpg

I was actually encouraged to remove my "Bead" during the line drills of T-1. Its not considered Dir. (It sure makes it a lot easier to undo the reel though).
In its place we knotted up the end point of the line to provide a grip for removal. They had great names for all of these pieces, I hope some one else jumps in and enlightens us quick:D

Henry

I had a ball on the end of my reel during Cave 1. It was commented on by the instructor as perhaps not needed, but he didn't make me remove it.

For myself, the thinking might be that for colder water conditions, having the ball on the line is of use as it can be a PITA to rethread the line through the guide with thick gloves.

I think you are right. When I first saw a ball on the end of the loop my thoughts were "Cool!" as it solves exactly the problem you have with cold hands in either thick neoprene or dry gloves.

The only significant safety issue I see with it would be the need to ensure the edges of the hole in the ball, bead or short cylinder used are properly radiused so they do not abrade the line itself.

I have heard rumors that having a hair ball or piece of dice or whatever on the end of a reel is not DIR. Just wondering if anyone here has the 'official' word. I haven't taken a GUE cave course so perhaps this is something explained in there?

I can't see any cons, but the main 'pro' I see is that you can't reel the end of the line past the ball -- makes for easy retrieval.

edit: Just to clear up confusion, I mean something like this...
gearnew.jpg

I got you a tag-along question..............is a bolt snap tied on to the reel (instead of a double-ender) DIR :)

I'm a ball-on-the-line guy. I'm good to go with no ball if I have no gloves, but the first time you bone yourself with heavy gloves on and pull the line through the guide/gate and you have to futz with it when you should be laying line already.......you'll start to question just how much a negative it is :wink:

Especially since if I'm bringing it, I am probably using it right away. Let's take a deep breathe and step back here and look at this for what it is.

I admit I am not a drone :D

Besides those torpedos will kill you long before the novice ball anyway... :lotsalove:

When I took Wreck 1 with AG on the West Coast, he strongly suggested I put a ball on my reel. When I took Cave 1 with Fred in Mexico I was instructed to remove it.

After using it both ways, when you have drygloves on, you REALLY want the ball. Barehanded it doesn't seem to matter much.

About the bolt snap, I believe you would find it difficult when you are tying in to end up with the bolt snap pointing to the way out, but perhaps not.

When I took Wreck 1 with AG on the West Coast, he strongly suggested I put a ball on my reel. When I took Cave 1 with Fred in Mexico I was instructed to remove it.

Well, that settles it then :wink:

rofl

I have two reels,.........one's name is Violeta, a ball-less Mexicano,......and the others name is Stan, a cold-water Canadian with a single big nut that looks surprisingly like a Stella beer bottle top.

About the bolt snap, I believe you would find it difficult when you are tying in to end up with the bolt snap pointing to the way out, but perhaps not.

Its tied to the same hole that you'd put a double ender on, so I don't see how it would point differently?

What is the reasoning against having the ball on the end of the line?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom