Balicasag in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kroyce1

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello! My husband and I are new to the site but have enjoyed reading everyone's posts! We're going to the Philippines for 10 days (July 23-August 3) and want to log some more dives. Does anyone have experience with Balicasag Island? I've heard it's some of the best off-beach snorkeling/diving around... but that there are a lot of head aches involved in getting there. Since we're going during monsoon season, I'm hesitant to look into any sort of live-aboard option. Any replies or PM you could give us to help us out would be amazing. THANK YOU!
Kristin, MD, USA

You can stay on Alona Beach in Bohol and dive Balicasag unless you really want to stay on a small island. BTY, it is much easier to leave Bohol if the weather turns nasty(slim chance) than Balicasag!!! And if the sea is too rough for diving, Chocolate Hill, Tasier etc etc can keep you occupy for a day but you will be kicking your heels if staying on Balicasag.

If I have 10 days to spend in the country, I will go to Malapascua and finish at Moalboal.
And if I also enjoy cycling, walking and scuba diving ie. outdoor, then I will go to Camiguin.

I've been to Balicasag a few times, I've taken daytrips from Alona Beach and also have stayed in the resort on the island a few nights. The island and the surrounding reef are really beautiful. It's one of the best snorkeling / fun freediving spots I've been to!

Couple of things to take into account:

The resort on the island is government owned. I tried to call the resort and the fourth telephone number that i found was working. The resort can organize a pickup from Alona Beach, but that is quite expensive (about 3000 php). The dive shop in the resort is also more expensive than doing boat dives around the island from Alona Beach, that is 45 min away. Rooms are big and nice and moderately priced. (about 2000 php, aircon, inc breakfast)

I found a fisherman that took me and my girlfriend to the island with his little boat, and picked us up too. At that time the sea was flat :)

You might also do your dives with a shop from Alona Beach, and stay at the resort on the island. That would be cheaper dives and free transportation, I think the bigger shops go there pretty much every day...

Back
Top Bottom