Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cjames

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
So judging from various news reports, I can't tell how much Bali and Sulawesi got hit by the tidal wave. Anybody know? Also, anybody have a read on how much an issue disease will be in that area?

Bali is protected by the landmasses of Sumatra and Java; Sulawesi by Sumatra and Borneo. So they were not impacted. The only concern is that it is the rainy season at the moment

Actually, I read an article that travel bookings in general are way up in Bali due to the unfortunate circumstances elsewhere, such as Thailand and the general area of the disaster.

Increased tourism in Bali is a predictable result of the disaster in the other countries of southern Asia. Of course where possible it would be nice if we all showed our support for those affected by booking our trips to affected areas where dive operators are still going out.

Dr. Bill

drbill:
Increased tourism in Bali is a predictable result of the disaster in the other countries of southern Asia. Of course where possible it would be nice if we all showed our support for those affected by booking our trips to affected areas where dive operators are still going out.

Dr. Bill

I loved Bali and the luxury I was able to enjoy three years ago at a price I could not have afforded anywhere else.

But I cannnot imagine going there now. While I know that many of the people of Bali depend on jobs which Holland America and others provide - just knowing that not very far away I could be encountering the remnants of people someone loved while having a swim makes me feel that this is not the time to take advantage of a good deal!

I feel I'm in quite a predicament - I know the survivors of the disaster need to make a living -

bali wasn`t touched...that`s why i`m going there next week...i should have been in sri lanka,today!!!but,the home office here ,says there is a serious outbreak of DENGUE fever in the whole area...mosquito laden...so keep the bug spray handy,and avoid dusk out doors!!!

diverwannabe:
I loved Bali and the luxury I was able to enjoy three years ago at a price I could not have afforded anywhere else.

But I cannnot imagine going there now. While I know that many of the people of Bali depend on jobs which Holland America and others provide - just knowing that not very far away I could be encountering the remnants of people someone loved while having a swim makes me feel that this is not the time to take advantage of a good deal!

I feel I'm in quite a predicament - I know the survivors of the disaster need to make a living -

???

Bali IS NOT affected by the tidal waves.... encountering remnants? maybe in PHUKET or ACEH. Perhaps a trip to the bookshop to buy an atlas is in order?

just got back from bali...and i`ve never seen an emptier place....club med only 200 out of a possible 1000,my hotel the aston bali.30% some totally empty....so,go now..tons of special offers to be had!!!and NO effects from the tsunami!!!best dive were out at NUSA PENIDA...clear drift dives,and TULAMBEN for the liberty wreck....some good stuff in NUSA DUA...not great viz,but tons to see...shallow,uncomplicated dives....lots of ribbon eels,giant squid,to play with,a baby white tip asleep in a cave....very healthy corals...dove with YOS MARINE ADVENTURES...padi 5 * and very proffessional :dazzler1:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom