Bali terrorist threat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The point is that without the story or Amnesty International's reports on Guantanamo, there would be no punishment for the servicement in questions, just like the Abu Ghriab prison scandal. There wouldn't have even been an inquiry or investigation.
But that is off topic to the diving in Indonesia. Indonesia has always had hotspots in many place, that's the price of having bad government policies of relocating people (the Madurese eg). Unfortunately, one of the best diving spots in the world in my experience is one of those areas. I've been dying to go back but it's just not safe. Pulau Weh looks like a walk in the park (albeit with a AK47 in your face) coompared to this island.

I have to admit there have been several times when I questioned my judgement for going to Bali and N. Sulawesi for a variety of reasons (tsunami, potential for infectious disease outbreak, terrorism) but I've talked to so many folks that have been there in the last few months that absolutely loved it, I can help but go. Now that I have both a video AND still housing my big dilemema now is how do I get all this crap there :)

You need to understand the poverty level is wide spread, education is also a big problem. The local folk are barely getting by and struggling to survive, they typically do not bother about all this politics and news. They cannot even afford a TV!

Those more well to do, will know about what is going on, but the current front running news in Jakarta suprisingly is NOT about USA. It is instead about the "corruption inquisition / witch hunt" and all the politics and gossip that surrounds it. The local layman is not savy enough to realize the international impact on local issues. As the taxi driver said to me "You mean the US Embasy is closed? Why?"

I got an e-mail the other day urging boycotts of Bali and Indonesia because of some trumped up drug charge against an Aussie girl. Anyone know anything about this?

Hi.
I am local, living in jakarta - working with many expat and having lot of chat with them. I believe Jakarta, and Bali too still safe for foreigners. Of course nobody can guarantee 100% safe in the big city with 11 million people living with wide gap between the rich and poverty.
Davidlkh is correct, the hot issue is not USA, nor Guantanamo but the corruption of the ellection commitee members plus terrible traffic jam.

Re. Corby, I believe she is lucky since the goverment trying to improve the relationship with Canbera. Many people mostly local with the similar case got the death penalty. If in Singapore or Malaysia, sure no mercy.
To prove she is innocent, the best way australian gov. shall find somebody she claimed put the drug in her bag.

newbie-in-fl:
Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone had any first hand knowledge about the terrorist issues in Bali. I was planning to travel there in August but read that the US embassies and business have been closed. I was just wondering how safe it is to travel there.

Hi Newbie,

I've been to Java, Sulawesi and Bali many times over the past 3 years on business and for pleasure (most recently last month in Sulawesi). I have never felt threatened or in danger at any time. I love Indonesia and the people especially. The chances of something terrible happening are of course real but NOT anymore than being in the wrong place at the wrong time in any city.

I'll also be in Bali/Komodo in August. By the looks of the number of people going to Bali, we could have chartered a liveaboard and saved a bundle.

Deano2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom