Bali or Philippines? Hmmm.... Or elsewhere?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gwyd1982

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi ive just handed in my notice for my job and looking to go diving instead of working! :wink: I just dont quite know where yet! I have been diving a few years and been a few diferent places, Oz, Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, Egypt. Now im looking at taking my divemasters and i want some advice/guidance on where to go and if anybody can reccomend a divecenter. I think ive narrowed it down to Bali or the Philippines but have not set my heart on it. Any idaes? :huh:

I have got a pritty tight budget so will probably have to go somewhere that is quite busy in May/ June and have a GOOD reputation! (This is a MUST!) Also I am a reasonably experienced traveller so poor accomidation/facilities etc. is OK by me. :D Thanks in advance.

Tech Asia , Puerto Galera Philippines; a lot of excellent, expat Brit Divers out there (Dave Ross and Sam Collett are two of my Tech Instructors). . . Good exchange rate for the US Dollar too.

I know you preferred Bali or the Phillipines, but you might want to check this mob. Tioman is relatively cheap. Exchange rate is about MYR7 to GBP1. The island is duty free. Proprietor is an ex-pat Brit.

http://tioman-dive-centre.com/dminternship.htm

MartianBeerPig:
I know you preferred Bali or the Phillipines, but you might want to check this mob. Tioman is relatively cheap. Exchange rate is about MYR7 to GBP1. The island is duty free. Proprietor is an ex-pat Brit.

http://tioman-dive-centre.com/dminternship.htm

Thanks, I had a look. I have dived in Perhentian Islands before, just up the coast, and although it was OK I think theres better around. Thanks anyway and keep the ideas comming please.

Ive had a look around a bit and im leaning towards Philippines... I think...

Highly recommend Asiadivers/El Galleon in Puerto Galera.
www.asiadivers.com
Very Good set up. they have IDC as well so if you want to go further than DM you can do on the spot. and if you want to go dark side, you can do at Tech Asia! :wink:
good instructors & Course directors.

I'll second Kev and Live in Sin on the kudos for Asia Divers/ Tech Asia in Puerto Galera. One of the owners of Asia Divers is a pommie but the crew and guests are pretty international (good mix of westerners, asians,and locals). For DM'ing, Asia Divers has some great instructors to work with. Just a warning... There are number of them who did the same thing as you, leaving the rat race for a break, but just never came back... :wink: :D

In terms of budget, I'm sure they could help you find something more budget orientated. There are a number of cheap basic inns walking distance in the area in the $20/nite range or less (maybe less if you can arrange a extended term deal). And it will be quite busy with guests/ students that time of year, so guaranteed they'll keep you occupied! And the diversity of diving there will keep you pretty happy as well!

The only downside to PG vs Bali is it is a bit smallish. Bali would provide you with more options in terms of social life. But then again, there are so many great dive sites around the Philippines...

Thanks for the comments guys. Three people reccomending the same place! Got to be good! Will defo have a good look... Is there any need to pre book the DM course or will i be alright if i just turn up? I dont mind waiting a week or so.
Looks like Puerto Galera it is, might have a stop off in Thailand on the way over. Am I right in saying you need a return flight (or onward travel arangements) to get a Philippino visa? and proof of funds?

Puerto Galera is great but like pacman says it is limited. There is an active bar and disco scene if that is your thing.

In Padang Bai, Bali I think you could get by a lot cheaper. Bali might open the door to Indonesia for you. Learn a little bahasa and travel to Sulawasi, Komodo, Alor, Sumatra, and Borneo and if you get the time try Papua Barat. (Raja Empat - 4 kings)

A 21 day visa in the Philippines is gratis and you pay for monthly extensions thereafter. You are supposed to have a return ticket but I have never been checked except for one time when I hopped a cement hauler from Suluwasi to Mindanao in the PI. No proof of funds requirement, but there is nothing sadder than a white man that ran out of money in the Philippines.

I have an amature website with info on Indonesia and the Philippines if you are interested just click it and have a look. Some info on dive shops in Bali also.

I am presently cave climbing in the Philippines.

www.dutchpickle.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom