Bali or other Indonesia Trip Ideas Wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm another one with no experience, just loads of research. You dont like muck diving, and you are experienced, then all those recs for lembeh are not for you. Lembeh is muck diving capital. I hear Bunaken is amazing, has the reputation as one of the best diving places in the world. A simple google search of best diving places in the world will show that. Its also much cheaper and easy to get to than the other so called "world class" spots in the area. Sipadan and Raja Ampat. That said, if I was experienced enough, I would do Komodo. You like the big animals, than I think this is the better spot for you. (Although i dont think its really what your looking for, I think sipadan is...) It really is supposed to be amazing diving, they are done usually on live aboards i believe, but some searching im sure you could find plent of other ways. Also, you can check out the dragons. Then again, I am going to bali in August because I want to see all the topside stuff. The other places cant compare (in fact, seem to have little else to do). In August, there are sights to the Mula Mula, but its hit or miss. Certianly Bali is not the place for pelagics (agian, check out Sipadan). Also, never been to either,but have spent hours on scuba board and google.

Hmmmm..... It seems that I have a high quality problem. There are just tons of places to dive in Indonesia. Fortunately, there are some good ideas here, and in some of the other recent threads. It looks like some of time will be spent on Sulawesi at Bunaken and Lembeh. I may not be a great fan of muck diving, but after seeing some of TSandM's photos, perhaps I have been diving in the wrong muck. The remainder will be at Menjangen, Tulamen/Amed and perhaps the Candi Dasa area. No live aboard this time, unless I luck into a cheap 4 day trip along the way. I have to get started on bookings. Even at this point, some of the high profile places like Wakatobi are full. Need to check out Eco Divers and Mimpi, it seems.

For mantas Komodo is great and can be done very cheaply. Check out reefseekers and Bajo Dive.

Diving in Alor is more expensive but considered to be very good as well but takes more of an adventurer.

East Timor has some really clean coral and sponges. Wayne loves long dives and has a 3 packs a day smokers grin when he comes up from a 90 minute dive. It is kind of a wierd destination but I really like it over there. www.freeflowdiving.com

Atauro Island in East Timor has a beautiful reef all the way around it.

@dutchpickle

In the last couple of days I have been rethinking my itinerary and will probably say on Bali for the entire 3 weeks. It is my first dive trip to Indonesia, and will probably not be my only one. When I started this project I did not realize just how many diving possibilities Indonesia offered. I have looked over several of your posts and am getting a few ideas here and there. I am at the point where I may only book the first couple of days on Bali in advance and make it up as I go along after that.

The Mermaid and I tend to take it slow. We have spend up to a month at a time in places like San Pedro, Belize getting to to know all the nurse sharks and demolishing the local beer supply.

That is a wise decision. Enjoy and get a good feel about Indonesia. Plan to come back regularly to try all of the dive sites.

Keep in mind, the size of Indonesia is the same size of United States. The only difference is 2/3 of its teritory is water :wink:

Cheers,
S-

Consider Gangga Island Resort. Gangga is a small island on the tip of Northern Sulawesi. They have very nice accommodations - A/C, mini-fridge, nice rooms, a white sand beach, pool, spa - and the prices are surprisingly reasonable. The diving offers very good variety. The highlight of the areas around Gangga - to include Bankga Island are the soft corals. Sites such as Sahaung I, Batu Gosoh - both on Bangka - are not to be missed. You can find walls, slopes, and even a muck diving site - Paradise Reef.

Gangga has built all of their boats and they range in size from handling four or five divers upto 10 or 12. They do very well at grouping divers by skill and interest. I have never had any limits put on my bottom time. This summer they are having a Nitrox system installed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom