Bali or Koh Lanta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cruiser24

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

Am planning a dive trip in mid-Nov. Cant decide between Bali or Koh Lanta.

Am hoping to see the bigger stuff.

Recommendations/suggestions appreciated.

Cheers.

Keep in mind that November is transition period for both places.
In Koh Lanta it will be the end of the rainy season beginning of dry season.
In Bali it will be the end of the dry season or beginning of the wet season.
In other words not ideal for both places.

I think that for bigger stuff around Lanta you might need to wait until Feb or March when the weather is better and it is easier to get out to Hin Daeng Hin Muang.
Not sure about big stuff around Bali though.

In mid-November I'd go to Lanta. The season will have started but it won't be overrun with divers until December. You'll enjoy it.

Hi broadreach,

Yeah I know I am caught in the transition period for both Bali and Koh Lanta. Hence the dilemma :(

But I was also thinking as what Quero suggested is that if I head off to Koh Lanta, it won't be too crowded yet since it is the start of the season there.

Hmmm decisions decisions.....

Hi broadreach and Quero,

Can I check with both of you, for Nov should I even consider liveaboard for Similan Islands? Would it be too early? Or should I just head to Koh Lanta?

Hi broadreach and Quero,

Can I check with both of you, for Nov should I even consider liveaboard for Similan Islands? Would it be too early? Or should I just head to Koh Lanta?

It's definitely NOT too early for a Similans trip. I'd be happy to help.

well Bali is land-based and Similans is LOB-based, that's one more thing you might want to consider.

Bali is good for mantas all year round at Manta Point , and although November is relatively late in the Mola season you may still have a chance of seeing them at Crystal Bay.

I asked a question on Lonely Planet about Similan vis in November and here is the answer I received:

'"My question is: will diving visibility be much better in December than in November (in the Similans)? "

No, in general visibility is best at the start of the season, and slowly slowly gets less when the amount of plankton in the water increases. So November normally is a bit better than December.

In broad terms it's correct that earlier in the season offers clearer water than later in the season, but it's actually somewhat more complicated than that. Visibility is best once the southwest monsoon stops blowing. That is, when the weather patterns have definitively changed, and the wind is blowing from the northeast. This may happen as early as the beginning of November in some years, later in November in most years, and one year I was up there in mid-to-late-December when the monsoon hadn't yet completely shifted and the vis was not what we were hoping for. Once the water is flat and the sun is beating down on it for days on end from a cloudless sky, the plankton begin to reproduce in the heated water near the surface. You don't really notice this until it hits some exponential threshold, and at that critical point,we start watching out for mantas and whale sharks to come in and feed. This generally happens some time in February, but there is variation in that as well.

Back
Top Bottom