Bali, Lombok - open to suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Louie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello everyone,

I am determined to take a quick cheap getaway from my present work and home in Thailand at the beginning of November (yes, it's a bit last minute).

Well, I've managed to find some cheap flights to Bali and thought I'd do some diving.

So the question is whether or not I should stick around in Bali or base myself in Lombok. What I'm after is some variety, good marine life and if there is a wreck or two, that would be a bonus.

If there's anyone with some experience in that part of the world, I would appreciate good tips, advice etc..

Thanking you in advance

Louie

there is great diving in Bali although many people thing the further out you go the better it gets, and this is not true.

Have a look at Lovina on the north coast as a base and you can dive both Menjangan on the Java strait side, and Tulumben on the Lombok strait side (where the wreck is) and there is no malaria in Bali, there is in Lombok.

cancun mark:
there is great diving in Bali although many people thing the further out you go the better it gets, and this is not true.

Have a look at Lovina on the north coast as a base and you can dive both Menjangan on the Java strait side, and Tulumben on the Lombok strait side (where the wreck is) and there is no malaria in Bali, there is in Lombok.

Indeed Lovina located "between" Menjangan and Tulamben but not really a dive destination; I don't know if there's serious DS at Lovina. In addition, you'll need approx 1 hr to reach Menjangan and 1 1/2 hrs to Tulamben - will be more if using public transportation - not very reliable. So, for serious diver, diving Tulamben and Menjangan from Lovina can be costly and time consuming.

If you have plenty of time, suggest to stay at Menjangan area for 2 days, then move to Tulamben for at least 3 days and then ended at Candi Dasa area or South Bali for Nusa Lembongan. Usually bonafide DS can arrange this trip incl. accomodation efficiently to suit your budget.

Dive Tulamben. There are great sites there: WWII shipwreck, wonderful drop-offs, shallow coral garden, etc. You can also dive Amed area (20 mins from Tulamben). There is a small japanese wreck in Amed with great coral garden. Staying in Amed has better value than staying in Tulamben, it is a small fisherman villages, many small hotels and restaurants, you can see how the locals live, and Amed still have black sandy beach (Tulamben only has rocky beach). Check Bayu Cottages for staying www.bayucottages.com. Most of the bays in Amed can be dived and snorkelled from shore.

then go to Sanur and dive Nusa Penida and Nusa Lembongan. It is the end of Mola-mola season... but they still have Mantas! Try Manta Point. Great Dive Center to go with from Sanur, is Crystal Divers www.crystal-divers.com. They have excellent guides and is a 5 star PADI. Staying in Sanur is easy. There are many hotels with various price range. Try Flashback (i dont have their website address).

For a short stay, don't bother to go to Menjangan. And I agree, Lovina is not a good idea!

Hope this helps! Have a nice trip!

Louie:
Hello everyone,

I am determined to take a quick cheap getaway from my present work and home in Thailand at the beginning of November (yes, it's a bit last minute).

Well, I've managed to find some cheap flights to Bali and thought I'd do some diving.

So the question is whether or not I should stick around in Bali or base myself in Lombok. What I'm after is some variety, good marine life and if there is a wreck or two, that would be a bonus.

If there's anyone with some experience in that part of the world, I would appreciate good tips, advice etc..

Thanking you in advance

Louie
Tulamben is worth diving, as compared to the Gilis (as reviewed).

The Gilis dive sites are badly damaged from the bomb-fishing. But the dives are saved by suprisingly many many turtles and some black tips as well. I've spotted flounders, mantis, honey comb moray, nudis..

"Magnet" is a dive site you should try out if you're looking for rock n roll kind of diving. The current is as awesome as the marine life. You have to take the boat out from Sengigi, and it's kinda expensive @ USD 99.

I am a dive operator which located at Nusa Dua area. We are welcome to help you to share all the beauty of Bali below the surface. Depending on your interest, Bali offers different variety of dive sites, from the shore dive at Tulamben area to speedboat dive at Nusa Penida, from calm and pool like water condition to the chalenging drift dive, from macro heaven to the pelagic, we have it all....

lumba-lumba:
Dive Tulamben. There are great sites there: WWII shipwreck, wonderful drop-offs, shallow coral garden, etc. You can also dive Amed area (20 mins from Tulamben). There is a small japanese wreck in Amed with great coral garden. Staying in Amed has better value than staying in Tulamben, it is a small fisherman villages, many small hotels and restaurants, you can see how the locals live, and Amed still have black sandy beach (Tulamben only has rocky beach). Check Bayu Cottages for staying www.bayucottages.com. Most of the bays in Amed can be dived and snorkelled from shore.

then go to Sanur and dive Nusa Penida and Nusa Lembongan. It is the end of Mola-mola season... but they still have Mantas! Try Manta Point. Great Dive Center to go with from Sanur, is Crystal Divers www.crystal-divers.com. They have excellent guides and is a 5 star PADI. Staying in Sanur is easy. There are many hotels with various price range. Try Flashback (i dont have their website address).

For a short stay, don't bother to go to Menjangan. And I agree, Lovina is not a good idea!

Hope this helps! Have a nice trip!

I have a trip I am planning on next September. I will stay in Bali for 5 nights and have 3 days for diving.

If I stay in Amed is there much to do...i.e. Small town? Restaurants etc? Walking distance from the Bayu Cottages?

If i were to stay there do they offer dive trips to Tulamben? and if I have a 7am flight out to Walkatobi.....can I get a taxi that early in the AM?

Appreciate any info...Thanks

Louie,
If you are looking for variety, I can't suggest anything better than Bali.
I went there for a dive safari in November 2005.
These are the places that I went:

- 2 days in Majangan area. Great wall, nice soft coral and the best eel garden I've ever seen so far. You can find pink pygmy sea horse. There is a slave wreck but the wreck had fallen apart, it's located from 6 to 40 meter. Majangan is close to Secret Bay, a heaven for muck diving. It's dirty as there were some rubbish, but there were a lot of macro things to see! Found a triplet harlequin ghost pipe. With only 8 meters deep, you can do two hours dive if you want. If you do night dive there, you can see bobbit worm.

- 1 day in Puri Jati. I'm not sure about the location, maybe Lovina, located between Manjangan and Tulamben. It's pure muck diving, If you love macro, this is the place for you. Sandy bottom, or sand-dollar and grass bottom. Saw pegasus, dragonet, flying gunnard, stargazer and of course mimic octopus.

- 2 days at Tulamben. Liberty Wreck is very famous and easy as it lies very close to the shore. Highlight : Yellow pygmy seahorse, rare to find. Do dawn dive to see big school of Humphead.
From there you can go to Seraya, which is a very nice macro dive site. You can find harlequin shrimp there, and I saw an odd school of pufferfish, the cutest thing indeed.

- 2 days in Padang Bai and Nusa Penida, for Mola-mola, manta, and shallow cave diving for lobster. A lot of reef octopus and nudibranch.

Travelnsj,
for what I know, you can buy diving package with the arrangement for them to pick you up from and to hotel. So you can enjoy city, as well as diving.
But if you really want to enjoy the dive, do stay near the diving area, easier and you can dive more, then on the non flight time, you can stay and enjoy the town.

If you have only short time for diving, I recomend Tulamben area. Easy dive, and you can have great wreck, wall and macro dives.

Cheers, Ice

Hi Guys,

About to embark on a 5 day trip with "Tulamban Wreck divers". Staying with them as well since I was told it makes it easier to do more dives. Will post report when I get back.

Ajith

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom