Bali Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Need information/recommendations for accommodation, diving and transport to/from airport and sight seeing in the Tlaumben area for Oct 07.
There was a board member I spoke with earlier this year that had a BB, are you still on?

My favourite is Mimpi resort tulamben (not cheap), others choices are Tauch terminal, Emerald and several budget resort around the area. They can arrange pick up service from airport or you can use airport taxi service. I am not sure about the cost since I always self drive when in Bali (rent car start from $30/day) but will not recommend this option - unless with chauffeur.
You mention about sight seeing in Tulamben, I have to say the land side of Tulamben area is not very interesting, but you can enjoy the journey from airport to Tulamben - there's many intersting places to visit. If you want off out water - you can stay at arty and scenic of Ubud.

Cheers

Wisnu:
My favourite is Mimpi resort tulamben (not cheap), others choices are Tauch terminal, Emerald and several budget resort around the area. They can arrange pick up service from airport or you can use airport taxi service. I am not sure about the cost since I always self drive when in Bali (rent car start from $30/day) but will not recommend this option - unless with chauffeur.
You mention about sight seeing in Tulamben, I have to say the land side of Tulamben area is not very interesting, but you can enjoy the journey from airport to Tulamben - there's many intersting places to visit. If you want off out water - you can stay at arty and scenic of Ubud.

Cheers

We have attempted to contact Tauch but the e mails keep coming back address unknown ?, I will do a search on Mimpi and see what that is like. The tourist?driving things we would like to do/see are temple, attend a dance where the wear the masks, see the terraced rice paddy fields and of course a little shopping.

Came back from Bali last week.

Stayed at Mimpi - was really nice resort. Rooms are nice, a good size and have a outdoor day-bed type thing to lounge on. Lovely looking small infiity pool too. Would highly recommend.

We dived with Bali Scuba - highly recomend this also. Small groups - max 4 divers per DM. DMs were really great at finding the macro stuff in Tulamben. And they arranged all our transfers to Tulamben etc. And also drove us around Tulamben so we could do the dive site at Selayang Reef (sp?) which was great for harlequin shrimp, boxer crabs.

We also stayed a few days in Sanur so we could dive Nusa Penida (to see the Mola molas!). From Sanur it's a 30 min journey to Uluwatu (on the Southern Tip of the Island) where lots of people go to watch the sunset and a Kecap dance performance at the temple there. Terraced rice paddy fields you'll see all along the route from Sanur to Tulamben anyway (and our Bali Scuba driver was very happy to stop on route so we could take pics). We did our shopping in Sanur, just walk along the main road, and got a taxi into Kuta to do more shopping (about 20 mins away). Didn't have time to do Ubud, but as Wisnu says, that's the cultural centre and there is plenty of art there to get.

Will post a full trip report soon.

Mimpi resort, pls check www.mimpi.com
Sometime they offer dinner with tradional Bali dance if enough visitors.
Bali out of water has more to offer. Temples (Pura) are everywhere in the island of thousands temple; highlight to Pura Tanah Lot, Uluwatu, Goa Gajah (elephant cave), Gunung Kawi and the biggest one – mother of temple – Pura Besakih. The last three typically on the full day package itinerary. Beside of Ubud, you may consider Bedugul for nice retreat in cool misty highland, beautiful lakes (no dive), botanical garden, and 5* golf court. Bali south (Sanur, Nusa Dua, Benoa, Jimbaran, and particularly Kuta are my last preference although offer almost everything - very touristic. Kuta, you may like it or hate it.
These are my (always travel with family) recommended accomodation (luxury with affordable prices):
Menjangan – Mimpi Menjangan or Menjangan Junggle Beach Resort
Bedugul – Bali Handara (*****)
Lovina – Sol Melia (****)
Benoa – Aston Bali or Melia Benoa (****)
Nusa Dua – Putri Bali (****)
Sanur - The Grand Bali Beach Hotel (*****)
Shopping – Ubud for high quality arts shop and gallery and Sukawati market for mass production at bargain price and certainly there are thousand art shops in the South.
Shopping tip: check the (fixed) prices at large dept. store or Hotel Galery before visit Sukawati, then expect up to 50% lower price for the same quality
Batu bulan for original Mistical Kecak and Barong dances

Cheers

i am heading to www.scubaseraya.com next week so can give you a report.

Catherine###### was just there and gave a rave review of it. Its here somewhere in the general asia area..

The trip is starting to come together. We start in the North of Bali (Diving) then on to Wakatobi. Back to Bali, south for a couple of days doing the tourist things and then on to Hong Kong for five days. So any information from you world travelers on Hong Kong would be appreciated.

Check out my own travelogue on my recent trip to Bali. VERY nice place. Hope to go there again. I put in some photos of the resorts that I stayed in, although I don't think I can ever afford Mimpi Resort :(

http://www.uluwatu.org

Back
Top Bottom