Bali end November?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yshimy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Planning a trip last minute to Bali from Dubai.
With the volcano news is it smart to go ahead or not?
the plan was to go to Bali on 27th Nov and go for a 4-5 days liveaboard.
if you are with going ahead with the trip, any short liveaboard recommendations?
i am reading the forum for info, but as I have to book within 48hrs I wanted to post this to get your inputs.
will the volcano affect the diving sites opening? heard ashes are reaching a Philippines!!
should I do the liveaboard from Bali or should I continue to Komodo? Any other recos?
i did Thailand and Philippines before and was looking forward to diving in Indonesia, my aim was target sighting of Mola Mola and Mantas?
I would have liked to post after extensive research but time is tight.

thanks everyone, your opinion is highly appreciated.

Hi there

We have just got back from Indonesia , there was some wonderful diving as always, but getting through the cancellations and general muddle was very stressful. Emirates , which we usually find really good , were a nightmare to deal with.

If you only have 4 or 5 days you will need to get to Komodo for a liveaboard as far as I know. This will obviously also involve the airport and personally I would not do it. To see mantas go to Nusa Lembongan which has wonderful diving. There were plenty of Mola Mola there last week but the season is ending , so you may not see them. There were lots of reports of them also being seen in Padang Bai, which is another very good area. We also enjoyed Tulamben very much.

Hope this helps a bit.

Best Fishes

Most LBs are 6N/7D affairs except a few that are 3N/4D. Then I believe most LBs also move to Raja Ampat this time of year or are idle/docked. So options may be limited. Try the Mastro Aldo - they have a 3N/4D package. Reputedly great chef and food on aboard - I heard it from the returnees too not just TripAdvisor. There is also a remote island resort day trip option that does south Komodo - being strategically placed. Scoobadoo I believe at half price of a LB if I am correct.

But I am a recent first-timer to Komodo so perhaps the experienced old timers can chip in with more useful info.

My Manta sightings and experience at Nusa Penida was very poor quality compared to Komodo - which was a real treat! Never saw Molas we just swam around waiting but it was not our day. YMMV. Head straight to LBJ/Komodo if time is short.

Tulamben/Liberty is simply awesome for a warm-up dive if you haven't dived for months. I loved it! Do that first if its been a while ...

Pearlman

Thanks for your inputs.
Which liveaboards did you have experience with?
I will plan everything and book last minute in case things clear out with the volcano.

I did daytrips from LBJ this time. Not LBs. Most good LBs are booked well in advance it seems so a last-minute deal might not be so easy unless a spot is running empty.

P

Greetings from Indonesia Yshimy,

Ngurah Rai is open and flights are operating from Dubai at the moment (fingers crossed). For up to date travel information you can always check the Bali Airport flight status page. We've been seeing Manta trains in Langkoi at Manta Alley in South Komodo, there have been reports of Mola-Mola's in the area as well. Just a heads up, the water down south is a bit green and cool at the moment (24C last report - perfect for Manta feeding and Mola's) so bring a 5mm w/hooded vest.

Where ever you travels take you, we hope you have an amazing dive holiday!

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom