Bali diving: Is it safe to dive in Menjangan and drive to Ubud on the same day?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vera52

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I had planned on doing a morning dive in Menjangan and driving to Ubud in the afternoon. But someone warned that I should avoid travel to the mountain area after the morning diving. Has anyone heard of this before, or have any thoughts on safety? According to my map, the elevation for the drive from Menjangan area to Ubud may range up to 7000 feet, depending on choice of route.
Thanks in advance, Vera.

vera52,

Fortunately, I have done that before. Yes, the mountain in central Bali is quite high. So, in the morning to Menjangan, we did pass through the mountain, but on the way back, the driver used the coastal road through Gilimanuk, Negara and Tabanan before entering back into the outskirts of Denpasar.

The journey was rather long, but the dive was WORTH it though. And I thought the scene where the rice terraces meet the ocean was quite spectacular.

Good luck + have fun!

This Ascent to Altitude chart may help you plan. Depending on what tables you're using, the pressure groups may not match up but I think you can use this as a rough guide. You might want to give yourself extra time to be conservative.

wow, make sure and come back and post! Some of us are going to Bali, first time in October. I plan a week in Ubud (hear wonderful things!) before the dive week. So..I will be so interested in what you see and think.

(don't feed those monkeys, now!)

should be no problem, i did it all the time, just need to be sure that u dont dive too deep and got too much deco...
If you are fit that its no problem..
The only problem is that the trip is a very tiring one.. menjangan to ubud, thats around more than 4 hours...
have fun and dive safe..

If I am not mistaken, the driver WILL ensure that the return path taken will not involve passing through the central highland. If they do not mention anything, perhaps you can tell them upfront regarding your concern. They will surely abide by your request.

Back
Top Bottom