Bali dive base options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maat1976

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all.

My husband and I are heading to Bali in June for two weeks.

I initially booked a room in Tulamben for the whole time, which in hindsight, was a bit silly. I'd like to split my time between Tulamben and somewhere else, though I'm not sure where that somewhere else might be. I'm interested in photography, and drift diving isn't that important to me.

Any suggestions? Also for people who have split their time between locations, did you taxi between locations?

Thanks.
Claudia

Hi, I would like to suggest Padangbai. I've spent some time in Bali this year and really loved this little village: great diving, food and the white sand beach is very relaxing. You can read more about Padangbai at http://www.lifesauntering.com/2014/02/padangbai-in-bali-delightful-surprise.html. Diving is quite good (http://www.lifesauntering.com/2014/02/diving-in-padangbai-bali.html) and I highly recommend Geko Dive.

There's also Pemuteran (http://www.lifesauntering.com/2014/02/diving-pemuteran-bali.html) but it is a bit of a nuisance getting there ( and I personally preferred Padangbai).

Hope this helps
Joao

www.lifesauntering.com

Hi Claudia

Consider the Gili Islands. They're just off Lombok but reachable from Bali by boat.
Beautiful islands, laid back and very good diving, especially for someone looking to get their dive numbers up.
Gili Air is my favourite of them and my wife and I have been 3 times now.

Good luck

It looks like all three are possibilities now. After looking at Geko Dive's site, I will contact them to see if we can do a bit of both, plus then do some time in Tulamben. We have 11 possible dive days and am not sure how to split the time between their, Gili, and Padangbai? It doesn't have to be equal obviously. Thoughts?

Thanks.
Claudia

I would definitely suggest diving in Amed and Menjangan as well, 11 days is quite a bit of dive time and you can see all of those places in that time. A night or two in Padang Bai, then transfer to Tulamben where you can dive Amed and Seraya as well. Then head over to Pemuteran to dive the Menjangan area before heading back to the south. Or, start in Menjangan area and do in reverse :) Plenty of variety in Bali for that time from black sand critter diving to walls.
Many dive operators in Bali can organize that all for you including airport transfers, transfers around the island, resorts, and of course the diving.

Let me know if you need more specific information.

Did exactly the same thing last December/January. Reserved 10 days in Tulamben and then decided to break it up into half Tulamben and half Pemuteran. And I was glad I did....
We hired a driver for the whole time, he was at our disposal from the time we arrived at the airport to the time we left the island. He was always on time and took us around after diving. For around the same price as a rental car, it was ideal.

So I've decided 8 days with Tulamben as a base, then moving to Padangbai for another 5. The first half will take in Amed and possibly Menjangan. The second half will be Gili, Padangbai local dives, and Nusa whatever the second word is.

I've read up on the dives there and I'm unsure if I have enough experience to do some of the dives. We shall see. We're staying at Alila Manggis in Manggis and Ocean Sun Dive Resort in Tulamben. Likely using Geko Dive in Padangbai from the recommendations on here.

This is seems as good mix of diving in Bali as I can muster at the mo'. Fingers crossed I can manage the more challenging one to see the big Pelagics!!!

Thanks all for the help.

I would also recommend Nusa Penida Island for you to visit. They have the best corals in Bali, in my opinion. Ring Sameton Inn is the best resort in Nusa Penida (it is simple but clean and rooms full of light and very large); the beach is about 100m from the hotel. When you see the beach it is not much, there's a lot of seaweed strung at the shallow end (an interesting view actually). Swim over them and you are on the best corals in Bali, and probably you can go west up to the Weh Island (at western tip of Indonesia) and not see such beautiful hard coral formations. There is a dive shop right in front of the inn, and you can arrange your trip with them. Rent a motorbike to traverse the island, or if you don't drive, hire someone to take you around, the island is very interesting with caves and artisan villages.

Hi mike,
I read your advice on amed and menjangan.....I am arriving June 9 Denpasar with the thought of diving Nusa Penida but nothing locked in yet......I am interested in some fairly challenging stuff,I am longtime diver in currents, good and bad viz. I leave June 18 for Guam. Most particularly like the idea of Nusa Penida...ideas? But can be persuaded of other places.....I am on an extended two month trip so moving around is not necessarily my aim for Bali as I will have been jumping around the Pacific for a while.
thanks in advance
C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom