Bali critters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3_17Tunicates.jpg

1_26JuvenileLobster.jpg

1_32BlueRibbonEel.jpg

3_25Nudibranch.jpg

2_26Nudibranch.jpg

I am really enjoying your pictures! I'm in the process of planning my own three-week trip to Bali in September. While I intend to make a couple of trips out to Nusa Penida (mainly because that's prime mola mola season), my plan has been to spend the majority of my diving time up at Menjangan Island. Have you dived there? If so, any pics, or comments comparing dive sites in Bali?

too cool

Leejnd:
I am really enjoying your pictures! I'm in the process of planning my own three-week trip to Bali in September. While I intend to make a couple of trips out to Nusa Penida (mainly because that's prime mola mola season), my plan has been to spend the majority of my diving time up at Menjangan Island. Have you dived there? If so, any pics, or comments comparing dive sites in Bali?

Hi Leejnd

Sorry, never been to Menjangan before. But I have heard glowing reports that the corals there are very nice.

The only advice is: If you plan to dive Menjangan, please stay at a resort around there, because its a long way from the areas like Kuta/Sanur/Nusa Dua where tourist tend to stay. I think its a 4-5 hr commute one way.

The other advice is: Please wear at least a 3mm full suit with a hood if you intend to dive Crystal Bay for Mola Molas....the water temperature is about 19-22 degrees celcius.

The Tulamben and Seraya region where I took most of these photographs are a must if you like macro stuff.

3_39Nudibranch.jpg

3_24Tunicate.jpg

3_38ColemanShrimp.jpg

3_56JuvenileFrogFish.jpg

4_13MatingOctopus.jpg

Ok...this last one was a rare sight for me...a pair of mating octopus caught in the act. The voyeur in me incurred a deco obligation for this. :eyebrow:

Wow, again stunning pics, and I can't wait to get there to see it all for myself.

Thanks for the advice. I'm booked into the Mimpi Menjangan for 5 days of diving there, and also staying in Tuban for 5 days of diving out of Padang Bai. I'm assuming I'll be able to rent a wetsuit? I don't have a 3-mil...our waters where I live are far colder -- it's averaging about 12C right now -- so all I have is a full 7mil, and I sure don't want to travel carrying that monstrosity.

I didn't have Tulamben in my dive plans, but now I'm reconsidering. Thanks for the great shots!

Incredible ... breathtaking ... oh MAN! I'm going to be returning to Bali next March ... 3 diving days each at Menjangen and Tulamben (as well as a week each in Sulawesi and Komodo). Looks like I sure missed a lot the last time ... thank you for the appetizer ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Leejnd:
Wow, again stunning pics, and I can't wait to get there to see it all for myself.

Thanks for the advice. I'm booked into the Mimpi Menjangan for 5 days of diving there, and also staying in Tuban for 5 days of diving out of Padang Bai. I'm assuming I'll be able to rent a wetsuit? I don't have a 3-mil...our waters where I live are far colder -- it's averaging about 12C right now -- so all I have is a full 7mil, and I sure don't want to travel carrying that monstrosity.

I didn't have Tulamben in my dive plans, but now I'm reconsidering. Thanks for the great shots!

Hi Leejnd,
I dived Bali a few years back. It might be worth purchasing a 3mm from your LDS before your trip as depending on which dive op you go with, rental wetsuits in Bali can be rather old and not fit well. A better-fitting 3mm might keep you warmer on the dives to see MolaMola and at Nusa Penida (the updrafts can be very cold, my dive computer registered 67 fahrenheit one time - I'd even recommend 5mm on those dives). for other sites, 3mm is fine.
Have a fun and safe trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom